Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Roosevelt (Silver Or Silver Plated) Dime And Others...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  05:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sebastian North to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, how are we doing?

I'm new here hailing from London, England and I have a question.

I recently bought a 5 piece floating coin lucite cube from an old guy which contains 5 old American coins.

Amongst other coins there seems to be a very shiney silver looking 1966 Roosevelt dime floating in the cube (as well as a seemingly:

shiney solid silver 1968 Jefferson 5 cent

A silver looking Jefferson Quarter dollar

A copper? 1970 Lincoln one cent with(no mint mark)

And a Kennedy 1968 D Half Dollar.

As I understand it silver coins were no longer produced after 1964/65?

So...I'm partly pulling my hair out because I can't physically get to the items and also intruigued by the 1966 Roosevelt...

Happy to upload pictures if anyone would like to offer their opinion or expertise.

Many thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2467 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
photo, would help for sure. a picture of the side of the dime to start with.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41410 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubtful any of these have much added value, but without pics it will be difficult to help.

to the CCF!
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sebastian North to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. This is the best I could do for now:

Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that kennedy is partially silver. (40% I think, I am rusty on this coin)

the dime is not likely to be; 64 was the last silver year and even if a few silver 65s were struck due to changing out the machine a 66 is too late for that or the odds are astronomically low.

Ive learned to never say never, but it just not likely.

The quarter is George Washington. The nickel is Jefferson. The penny is indeed copper, they were zinced out in the 80s and since due to rising copper costs.

If they were prooflike or even good uncirculated coins going into it, there may some day be some value in cracking it open for them. Nothing in there is worth a ton right now (assuming no oddities or errors).
Edited by jonnin
10/06/2019 10:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3307 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver dimes and quarters struck in 1965 and 1966 were dated 1964. The law allowed the mint to continue minting in silver until enough clad coins were struck for commerce.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/arti...ies-of-coins

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
Canada
379 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No silver in there other than the 40% half dollar.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05