Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918- S Walking Liberty 1/2 Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Good morning! What do you guys make of this? The mint mark looks re-punched? This Walker def has seen better days but I grabbed it because it was only $10 & is of an earlier date. But that "S" mm looks funny to me?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2467 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it took, a hit, as you can see where the metal was pushed down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither PCGS nor NGC show any major varieties for this coin: PMD
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17449 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I would suggest a pure Acetone bath, followed by a pure water spray rinse, followed by an air dry. I'm betting a lot of that black gunk will be reduced without harming the coin.

Do not rub it with ANYTHING.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Mox I soaked her already and I believe someone in the past did as well. Some gunk came off but it's pretty hard stuff.
Yeah there definately raised metal behind the S. Before I posted I checked Variety Vista and google and they show no variety for the '18 S. My guess was someone tooled a cheesey S onto of the mm but who knows.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17449 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A long soak in olive oil would probably separate the rest from the surface.

When I say long, I mean 6 months to a year.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, seriously? I would have no problem going that route on a coin that brings good $$$. Thanks for the tip Mox! Good to know for sure!

Just curious, How long do you let it soak in the acetone,?
Edited by Jayyk31
10/06/2019 9:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18562 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not use Olive Oil on coins. Olive Oil is different with different companies. Some contain larger amounts of acids. So not use that stuff on coins. As to Acetone. Anything longer than several minutes is a waste of time. It works fast. As to your RPM on the S Mint Mark. Sure does look like it. People at the Mint back then probably had a few Martini's for lunch and punched that a few times. No big thing. It is rather common but still worth a little more.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive Oil ? what's the PH level ? Pure ? vs 100% pure ? Looks like I got a weekend project with copper and silver junk coins ahead for me..Respectfully to Moxking and just carl...Where's Bad Thad ? Would love to hear his opinion on this
Pillar of the Community
United States
6092 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no reported RPM for an 18-S. Check out varietyvista.com. To me the MM looks like either Machine Doubling (loose dies in the press move upon strike and "smear" a detail) or some sort of a hit that moved the metal - flat and shelflike "doubling."

As to trying to et rid of the black stuff - use BadThad's (CCF member and professional chemist) solvent list:
http://goccf.com/t/57008#447106
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surprising no one has mentioned that this coin has already been harshly cleaned . I don't think any more of that black will come off unless you use a wire brush or grinding wheel on it . NO just kidding .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41413 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not optimistic about this cleaning up either, but let's see.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check out that list Earle42, thanks for that! I'm gonna give it another go on cleaning it but it's obviously seen better days. If I could get more of the gunk off of the Obv Motto so I could read the whole thing I'd be happy. She's a keeper tho!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6092 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a keeper for sure!

Let us see how it comes out.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05