Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Could Use An Explenation Of What A Close AM Really Is.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen videos where there showing a close am and it shows some space please thanks
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is less than normal, it is a close AM. there are different 'teirs' for close AM, and the ones where they are touching are most valuable
Pillar of the Community
United States
2355 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Close AM is actually a reverse die intended for the following year, 1993. The M is closer to the A than the E (On normal coins it's evenly spaced) and the designers initials FG are farther from the memorial and are in a different font.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...arieties.htm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just learned that the initials can also be an indicator might be easier to look for that instead. Theres mention of the initials being closer to the building for the wide am and further for the close am. Would you say this is reliable?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1438 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17363 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question well answered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2355 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you say this is reliable?

The distance can be hard to judge. The font of the G may be better. On Wide AM, the G has a flared bar while the Close AM has a straight bar. Compare pics in the link I posted before.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39515 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Note the locations of the 'M' on the AME of America. The wide 'M' is centered on the wide AM.(normal for the pre-1992 Memorial cents. Ont the Close AM the 'M' is not centered, but off to the left of the 'AME' on America. Normal for 1993 for business strikes and 1994 forward on the business strike cents. But the 1994-S had the Wide AM. Then 1998-2000 things were mixed up a bit:

Hope this helps?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2124 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a third PUP is the "A" in STATES for the Memorial RDV's. Centered on RDV-001 through RDV-006, but shifts closer to the "T" to the right on RDV-007. Thanks, Doug.

Also make note through the years, which RDV was used for proof coins. Differs some years in comparison to business strikes.
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...arieties.htm
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
10/07/2019 7:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all of your responses truly grateful! This is very helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2268 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm thinking a third PUP is the "A" in STATES

There is a difference in the A in states. Not too many people mention this and I'm not sure why none of the reference sites mention this either. I find it a much easier marker to see than the FG. Especially with my bad eyes.

I keep a photo on my comp that I took to show the difference.

2000P WAM and CAM displayed.

In a CAM the A is closer to the T to the right. In a WAM the A is centered between the two Ts.
Edited by MontCollector
10/09/2019 02:26 am
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I c that nice thanks for sharing very helpful. I see the distances... Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2268 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I c that nice thanks for sharing very helpful. I see the distances... Thanks!

Your welcome. Good luck in the hunt!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05