Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tell Me About Interesting Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have just started collecting and have stayed pretty much to Morgans, but now I am finding interest in coins from notable dates I have a Seated half dollar from 1867 because I am from Cheyenne and that was the year the UP railroad went through. I am now in New England. Any coins that come from interesting years and are interesting coins. I have really enjoyed the CC morgans for example.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say anything WWII and earlier has historical merits. If you want pretty, dodge the presidents and go for the artistic early stuff (morgan is great).

- many people who like morgans also dig into Peace dollars.
- I like the Flying Eagle cent, no reason, just like the flying bird artwork.
- Ben Franklin is interesting... one of the few non presidents to make multiple appearances. I like his halves, which were sadly cut short.
- the gold coins are interesting, but beyond my hobby budget. Can you imagine paying for your lunch with a gold $10 coin and that being a normal thing to do?
- morgans go DEEP. People have traced some of them to what die in what mint was used for that year, and what defects it had. Ive spent a good 2 days on one coin trying to find cool stuff in it this month. You can do that a bit with anything but morgans had a lot of little things going on.
Edited by jonnin
10/12/2019 6:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with the importance of your 1867, virtually every date is important for different reasons.

I put together an 1897 set for my Grandfather's birth date (#2 NGC registry set). 1934 for my father's birth year (#1 NGC registry set), and 1958 for my own birth year.

Sorry, but I'm probably one of the last of the generations to still follow our male Heritage at the expense of our female relatives.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In your estimations what "rare" coins are worth the premiums?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every single coin, especially business strikes, can be high grade rare. Even recent cents minted in the billions can be worth (and sell for) thousands of dollars.

For my own personal evaluation, I do depend on a combination of mintage (the lesser value influence), NGC and PCGS census numbers (yes, they're imperfect) and number available and past sales (Heritage, Great Collections, Stacks-Bowers, eBay).

That helps me arrive at a reasonable price. For some folks $50 is a very "rare" coin. Everyone has there top prices possible. Although price does NOT determine rarity, nor vice versa.

There are plenty of NGC 70 2013 ASE with the Limited Edition provenance, but they are rarely offered. ASE being the most collected coins of the U.S., even above Morgan's and Lincoln's.

A PF 1882 Proof 65 Shield nickel is rare - but relatively cheap because most folks only buy one or two for a type set.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11858 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really up to you . What interests me may not interest you and vice versa . Everyone has a different opinion on what coins are interesting .If your still unsure ,get a Red Book and pick coins that are of your liking .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
worth a premium? If you are into it to make money, I would just quietly buy junk silver.
if you look at a silver value chart, its at a low right now as per the past 10 years. It is due for a jump, though this is often tied to the economy, and we have a presidential election coming which could affect it, and so on. A bad economy stirs interest in precious metals.

Its at 17-18/troy now and was at 40+ a decade ago. Double your money, eventually...
Edited by jonnin
10/12/2019 9:37 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you imagine paying for your lunch with a gold $10 coin and that being a normal thing to do?

Wouldn't have been that normal, the restaurant wouldn't have liked you much. Would be like going to McDonalds and paying for your Big Mac Meal with a $1,000 bill.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18656 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think any Silver Dollars are over done with popularity so prices are excessive. Try something a bit less popular.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7861 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I 100% agree with justcarl. IMO, one undervalued area is classic proof coins. You can get a proof Indian cent or V nickel for a few hundred dollars, but their mintages are only the the thousands. Some of the older issues have mintages in the hundreds!
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cc's interest me too, because I associate them with a place in Nevada.

Carson City and Virginia City make a good coin collector's vacation trip.

I also like gold rush era San Francisco mint coins. The little California fractional gold coins as well, though they are tiny.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/14/2019 4:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few handfuls of MS-68 Morgans on eBay right now, selling in the thousands on up.... wouldn't it be nice to have a MS68 morgan?
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1893 San Francisco Morgan is the king of the series.... even in bad shape they go for a princely sum (well besides the 1895 - P proof which goes for tens of thousands).
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd tell you to get a 1652 pine tree shilling but those are a little pricey. You could get a lower grade 1787 or 1788 Massachusetts colonial cent from anywhere from $100 to $300. I'd get a graded one since there are a lot of cast fakes out there people are selling as genuine. But, I'd do what Moxking said pick a year to honor someone in your family or family friend and put a proof or business strike set of your choosing together to honor them or even an event. Me, I'm starting an 1885 proof cent only so I can call it my Back to the Future set. Pick any year but make sure it's meaningful to you 1881 there's your OK Corral set whether business or proof strike. Make the year enjoyable to yourself for any reason and you'll have a lot more fun trying to put it together.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
10/16/2019 08:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you are now in New England, I'd suggest coinage made for circulation during the confederation period of the USA.

https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoi...tents05.html

Along with coins issued by some states.

https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoi...tents06.html
Edited by joecoin
10/16/2019 07:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3539 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the 1800's, the northeast was a prime region for counterstamping. It's been estimated that, prior to the Civil War, between 5-10% of circulating coins in the region were counterstamped.

Here's a PARISIAN VARIETIES / 16. St & B'WAY. N.Y. counterstamp on an 1875-CC half dollar. It's interesting to note that this girlie show, boasting long-legged can-can dancers, was only in business between 1875-76, so the coin was in virtually new condition when it was stamped. Possibly, it was carried to NY City at that time by a lucky miner. Fifty cents was then the price of general admission for the show. The stamped half dollars were likely given out in change for a dollar; this, to generate word-of-mouth advertising.

There are only a few of these stamped CC Mint halves known but at least a few dozen from the other mints. Stack's has realized over $1,000, each for two of these counterstamped CC's. It's all about the history, it seems!

Edited by ExoGuy
10/17/2019 05:12 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05