Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945 New Zealand Halfcrown

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 508Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
770 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  01:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my latest coin, a 1945 Halfcrown. The coin is 50% silver and considered AU except the spot at 1 o'clock on the face side.

I have circled the spot.

Cat is $225, I paid $50, what do you all think?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16984 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It must be remembered that a dealer in order to make a coin attract a prospective buyer will offer the coin at below catalog value.
He has to make a profit at below catalog value ($225), so he will buy it as stock at perhaps 50% to 75% of his sale price.
That may work out at maybe $100 to $120 for the dealer to buy it as stock, considering the value reduction caused by the spot.

If your grading is correct. and it appears to be, then
$50 is quite OK for the price you paid.
The spot will affect the value a bit, but is sufficiently small enough for the value reduction to also be small.

I bought a 1934 Halfcrown in good VF (condition nearly, but not quite as nice as yours), and I paid AU$3 for it, but that was a long time ago. (20years?) It came from a dealer's junk box.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3382 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin! I am not knowledgeable about value of this type, but looks quite nice.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1476 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd happily pay $50 and remove the spot.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16984 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That could? may? be possible.
VerdiCare is not normally available in Australia ,but it may be importing some from the 'States.

A tiny droplet over the spot only may help to improve the appearance, for wayyyy less than $50 .

NZ Halfcrowns of this date are only 50 % silver.
I have seen good results pictured here in the CCF, on coins of similar alloy:
(50% Ag, 40% Cu 5%, 5% Ni, 5% Zn, - otherwise known as 'Quaternary Metal.),
the alloy used for .500 fine silver coins throughout the British Empire 1922-1946.

How can Australian collectors purchase VerdiCare? - I could use some myself.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20176 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice AU-58. Anything you do to try to remove the spot might make things worse. It has nice eye appeal as is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05