Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

-1885 NFLD 10 Cents Grade Opinions-

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello guys,

Wishing everyone is doing great! Latest addition to my collection is this Newfoundland ten cent coin. Scarce date as only 8000 were minted and not many have survived. Is there enough detail to qualify this coin as a VF20?

Strong detail. Please take a look and thank you!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say easily VF20 perhaps better.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
5696 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF25
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll get your VF-20. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3084 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details , environmental damage , old PVC . Needs conserving , still a decent coin .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2537 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, vf-20. Nice coin.
Valued Member
Canada
396 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice natural looking coin!

It's a VF 20 to me. Very rare grade for this issue. How many can really be out there when only 8,000 were minted, and they were used for 62 years? That coin is now 134 years old. To have one in VF condition is a treasure for sure.

Do you mind if I ask where you got it and how much you had to pay?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42235 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say VF details (ED).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys thanks to all for your input. Pacific coin I would like to restore it but I have zero experience myself and I do not want to damage the coin. The preservation method TPG use is kind like cleaning but I guess they get away with it as long as they do it. I am not sure how much this service costs. The Deductible I purchased the for 250 canadian on the bay. I thought it was going to go for more but thats the final auction price. I am happy with it but I just want to make sure preserving it professionally will enhance eye appeal.

Thanks guys!
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10655 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't touch it, leave it as it is, nice VF-20, mine isn't that good.

@Pacificoin, I bought mine from you many years ago.
True North
Edited by SHAFTA9a
10/17/2019 06:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its amazing how the coins and the community brings people together. I dont usually hashtag moments but if I did it would be something like #ccfunited
Valued Member
Canada
396 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave it as is. I don't think it needs any cleaning or 'restoration' (just a fancy word for cleaning imo) and certainly wouldn't give it any Details or Environmental damage designation. It looks old because it is. It's a rare beauty. Nice buy!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it makes a difference in pricing but the OP coin is considered a variety as there's no dot following Newfoundland.
With only 8000 minted you would think only one die would have been required.
Anyone looked at these or know which one is more common?

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bill,

Thanks for looking out. I was doing a little bit of research and I believe there were 3 varieties on the 10 cent.
Variety 1; 4 large dots with 1 dot further to D of nfld
Variety 2; 3 dots one missing after nfld ( my example )
Variety 3; 4 small dots with 1 dot closer to D of nfld ( I think this is the rarest variety )
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05