Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mistamped 1955 Us Penny?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bvonm88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I bought a random jewelry box of stuff at an estate auction on a whim - it had some odd looking things in it - this penny was in a plastic and cardboard case in a hidden hollow bottom. From the case it was in, I suspect that the previous owner thought it was worth something. It looks like it wasn't minted properly and is offset - the dates and wording looks like it was doubled up or minted over itself? Does anyone know anything about this type of coin?

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1955 double stamp obverse Wheat cent is the most sought after double die in which the value is very high. If that's a true off center double die your holding some good treasure right there
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bvonm88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm nice, I thought it was hidden away for SOME reason lol....How do I know if it's a true off center double die? It looks like it's not only off-center but the whole thing didn't stamp properly...when I search online, any of the others I can find are just slightly off...this one looks really off...wonder if that makes it even more rare?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12029 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an error expert but your coin looks fake to me . Wheat stalks looks off . If it was a real DDO and Off center 1955-P it could be a 6 digit coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to have to agree with T-Bop I was thinking the reverse of the coin looked very unrealistic. The wheat stalks don't have an authentic look when comparing to an original coin
Edited by Nickelcollectr85
10/16/2019 8:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2590 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a re-production coin, in my opinion. readily available on the no no site.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One-look fake. We've seen these before.

to the CCF!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20196 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bvonm88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man, that's too bad...was getting excited lol...thanks for curbing my enthusiasm :) will take it in to get checked out out of an abundance of caution anyway, but if you've seen these ones before, hopes are low...I couldn't find any reproduction ones that were this far off but I haven't looked for long...thx for the comments everyone
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks just like this 1951D off center fake

eE6ufZB68vY
Pillar of the Community
United States
2921 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln's coat isn't doubled either. It's a fake.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
Some of my best/favorite finds:

1859 IHC RPD FS-303 S-3: http://goccf.com/t/359464#3089369
1942 LWC DDO FS-104 http://goccf.com/t/344022
1941 LWC DDO FS-103 http://goccf.com/t/361222
1963 25 Type B reverse http://goccf.com/t/352858
1964-D 25C DDO FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/354851

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bvonm88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thx...looks like you're probably right....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, it's a counterfeit coin. You can find lots of these for sale on Etsy. I just checked and you can buy one on sale for $8.99. Etsy seems like a place for fake coins. You can get many dates, denominations and error types for $10 to $20 each.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40889 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can you tell it is a fake? Note the word LIBERTY on the coin on the left and compare it with the right coin on Bobby's coin. Do you see the differences of the spread?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15996 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing I noticed, obverse at 3:00. Whay does an off-center coin show a rim, a doubled rim in fact. That is NOT the "proto-rim" of a planchet, it is an actual rim.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11201 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05