Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2002 D Dime Struck Through Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  6:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Abraham1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 2002 has alot going on. I took pics of the possible strike through errors. There is and incused impression on the head and shoulder areas. The reverse appears to have a struck through grease error. There is only the pie shape that has luster and the rest is dull. The edge is not affected. May also have some strike through thread or string. Can someone help with this coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40194 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images seem too be either to far away or too close to see what is going on. On the obverse, the affected areas look white in the first images then darker on others. I can tell for sure if it is a stain, or what is going one. On the top of the obverse it looks like a die crack at the top of the reverse side on the right side of the coin. The 7th image is showing a contact mark on the 'R'. Chances are there is not a doubled die on this coin. The dimes have been duds for DDO or DDR for years.
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...Listings.htm
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...Listings.htm
If either side of the coin had a doubled die, it would be on the central part of the coin, not on the outside edges of the coin. (Single squeeze dies show the doubling on those locations) Check the Variety vista page on the new dimes to see where to look for varieties on these coins. I feel a lot of searching on the dimes are looking in the wrong areas. Most of the older doubled dies, the dies we made with a different process and the doubled die were back then located in a different area. The single squeeze dies, has the doubling in a different area than most collectors are searching. IMOHO
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/17/2019 8:03 pm
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Abraham1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I uploaded another pic that gives me strong suspicions that the neck area is a strike through. The pic shows a clear incomplete letter E which is sticking out of the neck. It is raised.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05