I've had this in my stash for a while. With the amount of wear on the coin, I wouldn't think it would reduce this much weight. On the scale, it fluctuates between 4.6/4.7 grams each time I weight it. Is it within mint tolerance? The edge looks completely normal. Should I just forget about it? Thanks for taking a look.
Edit: it's supposed to weigh 5.0 grams according to PCGS.
-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
I'd say the amount of circulation wear it's seen, explains the weight loss. In the future, please wear gloves. The oil from our skin can wreak havoc on the coin surfaces. You might want to break this habbit, since MS BU coins will get ruined this way.
Thanks E&V! I only handled this coin with my bare hands because it's already well circulated. If It was a nicer coin I would always handle it with gloves.
-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use