Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bleach And Morgan's: A Lesson Of Horror

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I don't really have nice silver dollars, mine are more for the bullion factor, anyway, I got a new set of 20 today, and one had verdigris on it and the other one had a sticker on the back. I didn't know where my wife's nail polish remover was at, so I wanted to experiment with bleach - yeah, not so good . They were that silvery grey color that morgans usually go to, but after the bleach, it turned them to ugly colors.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5667 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more ya know
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, don't use nail polish remover as it contains other ingredients. Use acetone only. You can get it from HD or Lowes
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Edited by JJuliano
10/18/2019 6:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt there are many collectors who haven't experimented with coins with one attempt or another to "improve" them.

Especially considering how many Jewlluster and similar concoctions that were sold over the decades.

Older military will remember Brasso. Try that on copper for a beautiful perminent bright pink.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13505 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
after the bleach, it turned them to ugly colors.

Yes I learned this lesson too early in my collecting years.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2795 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My sympathies for a lesson learn. At least you only damaged low grade coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1993 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One way to repair the damage is a rock tumbler. You can do it with rocks or with brass shell casings. I haven't done it for a while but remember that the fields get a sandblasted look. It works a lot faster than the coins-in-pocket method.

oriole, I used to eat at a restaurant called The Oriole in Hoquiam, Washington. There are no orioles within 1500 miles, but they decided to paint what they thought was an oriole on the window with tempera. I told them that it wasn't an oriole, and they washed it off in shame. If I remember right it was red and looked sort of like a cardinal.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/18/2019 8:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
meh, once I know they're stable and aren't going to be damaged further, I'll likely throw them into my lock box and won't worry about it anymore.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my goals is to get a MS-68 morgan eventually, trust me, nothing ain't ever going to touch it except for me or when my family takes it out if I'm dead.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the topic of bad cleaning fluids for coins, I still remember as a little kid with my grandmother when we tried to clean some steel '43 pennies with vinegar and salt, and grandpa coming home and seeing his top blow off when he saw what we were doing. Turned those coins to rust.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2795 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
oriole, I used to eat at a restaurant called The Oriole in Hoquiam, Washington.

@thq, actually orioles nest pretty much all over Washington State, while Cardinals are close to 1000 miles away!

I am glad that you set them straight!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18640 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wire wheel on a bench grinder will take that darkening off. However, also much of the metal too.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42123 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You get major points for being honest!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the library yesterday paging through old (1964-1966) Numismatic Scrapbook magazines. There were ten or twelve different coin cleaners advertised. Each better than the last.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1993 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Burton,

But wait! There's more!

Remember all those old Coin Week advertisers selling a Blast White Beauty?
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/19/2019 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7116 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to lose now.....dip the heck out of it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05