Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Dealer Just Alerted Me To A Bunch Of Uncirculated Set, And Proof Sets..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:50 pm Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
the un circulated sets, are the 70's and contain the "p" and "d" sets, in the white envelope, and the proof sets are 1980-s, to early 1990's..they come in the colored envelope, with the plastic case, of 5-6 coins, with the "s" mint mark..

So my question is, is there anything in these type of sets to be cherry picked? are there any dates that can be easily sold, or are these sets all boat anchors, at this point,

and it appears I will be buying for a little bit over face value for most sets...

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some input for me..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10147 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're buying for a little over face value, how can you really go wrong? Go into it expecting cherry picked sets and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. You might be able to fill some holes in albums. Worst case you put them into circulation or give them away as door prizes/stocking stuffers etc.

Since you hail from Canada, just verifying that these ARE U.S. Mint sets you're talking about?
Edited by CelticKnot
10/19/2019 9:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes all usa mint sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1539 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there are 1981-S proof sets in there, you could look for Type 2 mint marks. You'd have to look really close though -- the difference is subtle.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local coin dealer searches and cherry picks everything he gets in, and re-verifies before he completes the sale, just in case he missed something and will change the pricing if so.

I wish I had a coins shop a bit less attentive nearby.... No deals to be had there at all. "wait a minute, this is an RPM... that changes things on the price."
Sigh.... needless to say, I struggle to make a purchase from there, there is no good deals to be had, he's even 15x face for silver and that was last time I checked when silver was more like 10x face.

It's definitely worth a look for sure, I envy what you have for a coin dealer :)
Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/28/2019 10:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12805 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and re-verifies before he completes the sale, just in case he missed something and will change the pricing if so.

I wish I had a coins shop a bit less attentive nearby.... No deals to be had there at all. "wait a minute, this is an RPM... that changes things on the price."

I'd likely change my mind about the purchase if they did that to me. If it's that important to him he should get it right the first time or make corrections in his free time not just before the point of sale. It's really just a waste of the buyers time if they have to guess what the price will be or what checkout surprise may occur. Very few things are rare enough to put up with that especially when there's no deals to be had anyways.
Fire A.J. Preller
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are there proof sets and unc sets from the late 1970s to late 1990s that are worth searching. As a younger collector I bought much of the sets in lots of five (silly) and recently opened two boxes of proof, prestige, Korean war vet, space shuttle etc. Looked to me like the silver ones went up but the rest not much. are there sets from that period I should check more carefully? thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3388 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are mostly looking at boat anchors but at near face, what have you got to lose?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12805 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are there proof sets and unc sets from the late 1970s to late 1990s that are worth searching.

All mint sets are for the highest grades, the catch though is that you have to be good at grading moderns for that to work. Beautifully toned examples as well are worth pulling.
Fire A.J. Preller
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05