Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Die Crack In 1984 P Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 226Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KopperKoi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife and I have just started our own little hobby with coin collecting. I've always had a fascination with it, but today I found this penny that looks like a raised line by the America part on the reverse on the right top corner of the Lincoln Memorial. I was wondering if this is a die crack, and if it has any collecting value? Hopefully, this image is clear enough, let me know if it isn't!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44508 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That it is. Do you know why it is raised on the coin?

Note the die on the left on the back die. Note the die crack? It is an incuse mark on the die. The dies are a negative and the cents are a positive of the die. So an incuse mark on the die leave a raised die crack on the coins.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KopperKoi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful information! So you do think it is a die crack then? Does anyone have any idea if it's worth any collecting value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4660 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a die crack, common for this time period and metal.
I don't see any premium for your coin.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44508 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are very common on that area. An easy find. The best value you can get from this, is know what they are when you see one again. The collectable ones are the ones that flow across the whole face of the coin. If they are not that wide, they are just a die event that is real interesting to a new collector, but to a seasoned collector they are spenders. People save them. Get 50 of them, then you have enough to put them in a roll. Don't make the mistake I did. I put stuff like this into 2X2's and wasted 4 cents to save a one cent value coin. Put them in a tube if you are saving them. (Don't make the mistake I did as a rookie collector)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KopperKoi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both and we will definitely be keeping this one. If I have any more interesting finds I'll definitely post for opinions again. Very nice and quick responses! :D
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05