Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Best Gold To Stack?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,454Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  08:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is YOUR opinion?
GjXn1TSoE8M

37 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I turned it off soon as he said gold was a hedge against inflation, another propaganda video
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like he has a couple ounces. Not the "stacker" I'd probably listen to, but he at least has a pleasant demeanor.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13443 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer to your question : Yellow Gold !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Along with silver, I stack fractional Gov. bullion coins. But I wouldn't mind a double eagle or two!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US gold buffalos, three nines fine!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1050 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bullion 1 oz. world recognized gold coins to prevent excessive fractional premiums, four nines pure. US Buffalo, Canadian Maple, UK Britannia/Beasts, Austrian Philharmonic, Mexico Libertad.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Misterpostman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like gold sovereigns. They are fractional (.2354 oz) and can be found for low premiums back to the 1880's or so.
They were made in England, Australia, and South Africa, with a variety of mint marks and portraits.
Valued Member
Canada
62 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sbr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy a mix of everything ,love the pre 33 US gold and I like purchasing the first coins in new series as you can get them near spot and over time have the chance to appreciate over bullion. I purchased the first three Queens beasts and if you check them out at APMEX they have appreciated quite well. I also purchased some 1 oz palladium rounds that If it goes much higher I might flip into something not sure what yet.
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either I don't understand the term "Stack" or the video is way off.

My understanding of the word "Stack" in this context is to purchase and store physical gold for investment purposes. Without getting into the relative merits of gold vs. other investment instruments (most would agree that it is a low performing investment), if your intent is investment then you need the highest quality product at the lowest cost.

Remember buy low/sell high.

Quite simply, that means the largest sized bar from a reputable mint/with appropriate proof of authenticity that you can afford. At the very least, 1 ounce bars. Moving to coins you will end up with a purchase premium that you won't recover during a sale. When you go to fractions of an ounce, the premium increases.

Go to a bullion dealer and look at the price of fractional gold.
Today in USD, a reliable online dealer has 1 oz Eagles for $1554. 2x 1/2oz Eagles are $1582, 4x 1/4oz Eagles are $1636. Clearly the cheapest way to buy a gold eagle is by the ounce.

Between the options... again. Eagles are $1554, Buffaloes are $1559 Gold Maples are $1542, Britannias are $1534... The Buffalo, Britannia and Maple are 4x9s or 99.99%). The eagles are 22k or 91.67% but do contain an ounce of gold alloyed with copper... this is the same as the UK Sovereign. You can get a brand name gold bar for $1526. (BTW, all of these prices are for 1 oz... There are further discounts with higher volumes). Were I in the market today for a 1 oz gold coin to stack with the above data, I would buy the Britannia.

This is all based on a Market price of $1494 for an ounce of gold.

In most cases, you will get market or slightly less on selling gold so you need to purchase at the highest volume and cheapest unit price you can afford to get closest to the market price or in other words... minimize the spread between buy and sell.

The minute you go for a numismatic coin from circulation such as a pre-33 eagle, you start getting grading involved and numismatic premiums... That is a different type of investing than stacking. It is speculating on a future value of a specific item in a specific quality... In that a pre-33 Gold Double Eagle is little different than a Carson City Morgan... It is rarity, grade and eye appeal that will determine what the value is and any intrinsic value from gold or silver only establishes a lowest price. In bullion transactions, grade rarely matters as long as the coin or bar is free from obvious damage or abuse. The biggest risk/challenge is often confirming your item is not counterfeit. (Another disadvantage of PM investing vs. stock market or bond investing).

All gold and precious metal stacking is predicated on the presumption that under certain circumstances, the PM will appreciate vs. the country's currency and you can recover your initial investment. While this does happen from time to time, generally speaking an index fund against one of the main stock markets will out perform PMs unless you get very selective in your time windows.

The key here is to remember why you are purchasing the gold or silver... If you like a specific coin (& I am loving the Queen's Beasts series) then the price is less important as you are a collector. If you are an investor (stacker), you want the most of a given PM you can buy for a given $ amount and the format is unimportant as long as you can have proof of authenticity. (A RCM or PAMP bar with proof of authenticity will always return more per ounce than a hand poured bar by a hobbyist smelter)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1050 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2019  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of good points, vonigohcr. Americans have the luxury of buying Sovereigns and Eagles (and other alloyed gold coins)...something we Canadians unfortunately do not, in a practical sense. If I were to buy a gold Eagle today from SGB, I'd pay $249.50 in taxes here in BC.

Quote:
If you like a specific coin (& I am loving the Queen's Beasts series)

Me too, I've been grabbing all the coins up until now, and I'm thankful for that! APMEX has sold 23 of the 1oz gold Dragons on ebay @ CAD $2875 a piece, a couple of the 1 oz gold Griffins at $3282 per coin, and a Lion at $2875. Sheer insanity.

Edited by 1cent
10/31/2019 11:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the coin shop I work at, we usually recommend 1oz Gold Eagles or Buffalos. We always recommend that people buy the larger coins since the premiums are lower. If you are looking for gold with the lowest premium, 1oz bars are a good way to go.

Quote:
Americans have the luxury of buying Sovereigns and Eagles (and other alloyed gold coins)...something we Canadians unfortunately do not

Why is this? Does Canadian law not consider alloyed gold as an "investment"? Just asking. I'm not very familiar with Canadian laws on the subject.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does Canadian law not consider alloyed gold as an "investment"

Nope.

In order for bullion to be considered investment grade and thus not subject to tax, it needs to be 99.5% pure for gold & platinum and 99.9% for Silver. So sovereigns, krugerrands, gold eagles are all taxable... Sort of kills any investment potential. Federally assessed sales tax (GST) is 5%. Note that NCLT that meets the purity standards is not charged GST.

Where I live in BC, it is even worse... even if the purity standards are met, if you pay a premium over the base metal value, then the entire purchase is taxable for provincial tax as it is considered a collectible and not an investment. So when you buy that Australian Swan... or any NCLT from the RCM ... it is subject to Provincial tax at an additional 7%.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1050 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where I live in BC, it is even worse... even if the purity standards are met, if you pay a premium over the base metal value, then the entire purchase is taxable for provincial tax as it is considered a collectible and not an investment. So when you buy that Australian Swan... or any NCLT from the RCM ... it is subject to Provincial tax at an additional 7%.

Who is demanding that tax? That's borderline fraudulent in my opinion. I bought both the gold and silver Swans and they were tax-free as they meet the requirements for bullion.
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1cent. Unfortunately it is in the text of the Provincial exemptions guidelines extracted from the law

Quote:
PST exemption exists for:
Gold, silver or platinum in bullion or coin form, unless obtained for a purchase price greater than the market value of its gold, silver or platinum content (e.g. collector's coins)

Extract from Provincial Tax Guidelines =>https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/t...irements.pdf

This means that a bullion coin that is sold for a value in excess of the market value of the PM (assuming an allowance for the dealer's margin etc.) will be deemed a collector's coin and subject to Provincial tax. If you look at coins such as historical Chinese Pandas, Silver Kiwis, Australian Swans etc... they sell for a premium well above bullion and could easily be deemed as collector's coins... if all you wanted was a bullion investment, why wouldn't you go for the cheapest Maple Leaf or Bar in the weight you choose... by opting for a coin with a premium attached, you are believed to be filling a collection (or so the logic goes).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1050 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be argued (and I would certainly argue) that it's aimed at true collector coins. Yes, Pandas and the like do command more of a premium than basic bullion rounds, but I've never paid provincial tax on them and I never will. Typical BC extortion though, brought to you by the same criminals who are legally allowed to collect between 12% and 20% PST on private used car sales, even though the general provincial rate is 7%.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05