Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 Kennedy Half - Is This Coin An Example Of Clash Die Or Just Scratches?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 377Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
393 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  4:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, everyone.
Just got curious with this mint set showing milky spots and scratches all over the coin. So, I decided to break the set to see what is underneath.
Thanks for sharing what you see on this coin. Apologies for the pics' poor quality.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47852 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strong die scratches. They are on the fields. The fields are on the outside part of the die. The devices are deeper inside the die. So a die scratch, will leave a raised area on the fields that can flow behind the devices. The cello on the hold is probably doing more harm at this point. It is altering the surface of the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Coop.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17164 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The line through the top of the Y might be a die crack.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Condor. I will check for the die crack. Kindly see what was on top of the 'W' of 'WE.' Have you seen that in some of your coins?
Thanks, again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47852 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like that area was polished down. Note the distortion of the initials? The weakness of the 'WE' area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05