Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From The Big Sky State!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sodeep Music to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there from Montana!

I have always found coin collecting totally fascinating. My dad collected coins and also watched for certain things like dollar bill misprints and serial numbers and the like. I guess he passed that all onto me. However, the thing he didn't tell me is the fact we can all find even more recently minted coins and they will have some value too!

I have, within the last few months, become minorly obsessed with coins (in particular, tho I look at my bills too). What started out my fascination was that I had found a pretty old Wheat penny from 1941, and decided to research it on the internet.

I found many youtube videos with the topic of wheat pennies. As I began to research that penny I found out that there are *many* coins that have great value that we all can find just floating around in our pocket change.

Because of that fact, I added coin collecting to my list of hobbies. Now I know it is not impossible to find a rare coin because I believe I found one myself recently.

I think it is a common misconception among people who don't collect coins or pay attention to their coins and bills that believe that it'd be close to impossible to find anything valuable as everyone must have already found whatever there was to be found out there.

I am, needless to say, now aware that this is completely false and I am now paying way more attention to my random pocket change. I had no idea that there were coins that had value and had I not been curious about the Wheat penny I had found, I would *never* have thought to search in my own change. Now I am happy that I have been searching in my pocket change. Not only *my* change, but my mom's change and my sister's change.... :P Like I said, I am minorly obsessed now.

I am glad I have become minorly obsessed because as far as I know it, I might have (even just three months ago) thrown away over $1,000 or more. Today, I found a very rare 1992 close AM penny. Not only that, but it is in pretty good shape! I see some pictures online of the current one or two that have been discovered and I think my penny has way less damage. Yes, circulated for sure, but very little damage.

Previous to my obsession with looking at my change, I would have easily tossed this in the "take-a-penny, give-a-penny" dish or maybe it would have been thrown into my coin stash for the next trip to the CoinStar.

I had to take three and four takes and got out my magnifying glass... but it is true. I'm new at this, so I don't know what steps to take in order to really be smart about perhaps auctioning this thing one day. I know I should probably get it professionally appraised somehow, or graded? I'm not sure... I am still pretty new at just *looking* for rare coins let alone having one in my actual possession!

I don't wanna screw this up and I know people here are well informed and would know exactly what to do with it if they found it. I figured I might as well introduce myself because I will probably be collecting coins for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

~sOdEeP mUsIc
Pillar of the Community
United States
2323 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF!!

Nice to see a fellow Montanan!

Quote:
Today, I found a very rare 1992 close AM penny. Not only that, but it is in pretty good shape! I see some pictures online of the current one or two that have been discovered and I think my penny has way less damage. Yes, circulated for sure, but very little damage.

Would love to see photos of this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2113 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!
Learn More...
United States
16334 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF!
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5807 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  04:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from England!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12063 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , We really need to see some photos of the coins you found . Enjoy your new hobby .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome from NY.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11320 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sodeep Music to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome! I'm not sure how to upload pictures of the coin? I'm going to try this upload image link I just found within making this reply. :P

Added after images uploaded:
I didn't clean this coin or touch it as I know that people recommend not to do this... but compared to the images I saw of the previously auctioned coin I think that this one is in way better shape?

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Sodeep Music
11/14/2019 7:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5039 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05