Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Personal Top Five

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  5:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As the end of the year approaches, I've started to think about my favorite RCM releases from 2019. As such, I've compiled a short list of my "Top 5" and present it below. Being a more traditionally-minded collector, the list does not include any of the RCM's "innovations" - just simple silver coins! What's your list look like?

My Top Five

1. $1 Silver - Peace dollar: A very nice high-relief coin in proof that is a perfect complement to the 2019 Peace and Liberty reverse proof silver medal struck last year by the RCM. I have both and have to say that they serve as terrific complements to each other. [SOLD OUT at RCM]

2. $20 1 oz. Silver - The Valiant One: Bald Eagle: I've been collecting bald eagles on silver coins from the RCM for years (as long as they are shown in natural settings or in a natural pose) and liked the way the RCM used a reverse proof finish for this coin - the detailed rendering of the perched eagle stands out nicely on the reverse of the coin. [SOLD OUT / ARCHIVED]

3. $1 Silver - 75th Anniversary D-Day: The RCM chose a significant event from world history to feature on its annual commemorative silver dollar; recalling history in this manner is what got me started in collecting true commemorative coins years ago. The SD has a similar design to the 2014 $10 coin honoring D-Day, but its execution is much much better. I never purchased the 2014 coin; I'm glad the theme was revisited on the 2019 SD. [SOLD OUT]

4. $20 1 oz. Silver - Forget-Me-Not: The piece is a tribute to the "valour and sacrifice" of the soldiers from Newfoundland and Labrador who fought in World War I. I'm a big fan of allegory on coins and I very much like this coin's use of allegory to represent the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (the caribou) and the soldiers who sacrificed (the forget-me-not flowers). Nicely done and meaningful! [STILL AVAILABLE]

5. $25 Silver - 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing: Such a seminal event in world history! I was unaware of Canada's involvement in the Apollo lunar lander - it was a nice piece of history to learn via my coin collecting hobby. IMO. the design does not make very effective use of the coin's domed shape - but it does pair nicely with my US Apollo 11 silver dollar which also is domed/curved. [SOLD OUT]

Honorable Mention

6. $20 1 oz. Silver - Victory Stampede: I liked the design of the coin from the very first time I saw it. There is something about the "cleaness" of its design and its use of selective gold plating that appeals to me. The rope edge treatment is nice as well. I also like the fact that it commemorates the centennial of the end of World War I. I haven't purchased the coin yet, but it is on my favorites list. [STILL AVAILABLE]

Edited by commems
11/15/2019 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
already total gave up RCM coins :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
already total gave up RCM coins

That's a shame.

For the collector/hobbyist, I believe the RCM still offers many great NCLT products. I can see, however, how someone can become disillusioned if they have approached collecting modern NCLT as an investment vehicle. Simply put, such an approach is almost always a mistake!

Edited by commems
11/17/2019 07:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1518 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my first look at the Peace dollar yesterday and I can certainly see why it's number one on your list. I would be happy to have one in my grouping.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes on D-Day and Apollo selection
Thanks commens!!
I'll give my top five or so once December release is out
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've picked up both the $1 coins you listed. Both are very nice but I think I like the Peace dollar most and it would definitely make my top five list.
I also like the Bald eagle and Forget-Me-Not coins you listed but not enough to make my list. Sorry, but I'm not very smitten with the Apollo coins (both the Canadian and USA versions). True, they are historically interesting, but the artwork is just too 'blah' for me. :(

commems:Would you mind if some of us jumped into your post with our top five?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy: It would be great if others posted their Top 5 lists. I was hoping folks would!

Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank-you commems!

As I mentioned on my previous post, the Peace dollar is also my favorite of the year (even though it's technically a 2020). It's not at all a "fancy" coin, but it's simple yet stunning design really appeals to me. Perhaps the high-relief makes the difference.
My other four favorites of 2019 are in no specific order.
>> Kind of similar to the Peace dollar, I really like the looks of the 3ct set of the multi-faceted animal heads; due to both the HIGH-reliefs but also the great artwork/workmanship in creating them.
>> The $100 10oz Great Seal of Canada coin is a really sharp design. Way too big for a normal collection, but I wouldn't mind one in my set.
>> Also larger than normal, the $50 5oz "Rose of the Winds" coin has an appealing design. The gold plating works well with this design as well as the raised effects.
>> I like the $25 Piedfort "Loon & Maple Leaf" combo coin in my top five list too. It's also a very simple, yet attractive coin. The two-toned leaves are a winner to me.

Although I really like the coins I listed (and there are several others that I feel were very nice), I only bought the Peace dollar. My budget restricts me (a lot) from buying all the other releases I thought were outstanding and would like.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy: You've made some excellent selections for your list!

I also very much like the large format Great Seal of Canada piece. The Mint team did a great job of recreating the original Seal and it appears to be well struck.

I'm a fan of silver coins with selective gold plating - I think golden highlights can really enhance the overall aesthetics of a design. I have all of the RCM's selectively gold-plated silver dollars and enjoy having them as part of my SD collection.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by commems
11/18/2019 7:48 pm
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

I tend to agree on the Selective Gold Plate but as with all things RCM, they will milk a design technique/technology until it is old rather than applying it where it can be realised for best effect. Staying completely within the 36mm SD range, I thought that the use of Selective Gold Plate worked really well on 2005 Flag and 2006 Victoria Cross but was less effective on the 2007 Thayendanegea than the enameled version. In a similar vein, I thought that the 2017 Anniversary of Confederation SGP was much more effective than the 2016 Great Eastern where again, the coloured variant was more impactful.

When I first saw this "best of" post a few days ago, I thought long and hard about the coins released in 2019 but was challenged to come up with 5 coins that stand out as exemplary given the back catalogue from the Mint.

First off, I agree that the Peace dollar is a standout and would be so in any year's catalogue... it is however dated 2020 and only slips into this category because of the early release date.
From a circulated coin perspective, I liked the treatment of the D-Day $2 both painted and not. I would be happy to receive either in change. It represents a massive difference from the design on the Diversity Loon which looks almost like an outtake from the Beatles Yellow Submarine movie animation.

The rest of the catalogue, while nice enough didn't stand out... The 2 versions of the Matthew were accurate representations of the 1949 original but I question the choice of a 5oz and a 34mm Piedfort 1oz... if it were not to be reissued in the 36mm size then why not as the 2oz Renewed $ series... This was a missed opportunity IMO.

Having been a fan of the prior $350 series (Provincial Flowers from 1998-2011) I really wanted to love the first in the Canadian Wildlife Portrait Series but the torso of the Cougar just does not look realistic to me and the eyes lack the intensity that the big cat exhibits in the wild... even when at rest.

As it stands, I was not heavily engaged by 2019... Hopefully the RCM has an outstanding plan for 2020, and the Peace dollar may be a harbinger of such, so that we can end the second decade of the 21st century on a high note.
Valued Member
Canada
205 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your lists. I enjoy judging RCM coins. I group the 2019 coins into three categories and here are my favourite in each category:

Category I - Less expensive than $1,000

1. Silver Peace dollar

$129.95
Mintage: 5,500

My theory: a coin featuring a human head usually does well. Ultra high relief adds depth to the beauty.

2. Animal Head Series

$139.95
Mintage: 2,500

Simple, calm, and sophisticated beauty.

3. Canadian Horse

$129.95
Mintage: 3,500

It's not about horses. It's about black rhodium plating meeting gold plating. The result is surprisingly beautiful.

4. Pride of two nations

$189.95
Mintage: 10,000

The Iconic Maple Leaf design feature two circles of stars and two circles of maple leaves in the background. I don't like the mintage though.

5. Shag Harbour

$129.95
Mintage: 4,000

I like the colours.

Category II - More expensive than $1,000

1. 2019 Maple Leaf Forever platinum coin

$3099.95
Mintage: 250

If you only want to buy one expensive coin, that's the one: exclusive, stunning, and highly collectible. The translucent red enamel on the platinum creates a simple, calm, yet breathtaking beauty.

2. Gold Peace dollar

$2,899.95
Mintage: 500

A perfect match for the silver Peace dollar, which we all agree is gorgeous.

3. Eternal Blessing Pysanka

$4,999.95
Mintage: 250

It's the same size as the silver Pysanka coin, but in gold. The price is excellent for almost 2 oz of gold. I personally don't find the design and finish impressive though. Overall, this is a good idea.

4. Benevolent Dragon

$1,288.88
Mintage: 588

Excellent design and execution. I especially like the white pearl grabbed by the dragon.

5. 40th Anniversary of the Gold Maple Leaf

$2,899.95
Mintage: 350

The incuse maple leaf features pink gold plating, on top of the 99.999% pure gold!

6. Ying and yang

$2,888.88
Mintage: 288

Ying and yang; silver and gold; fish and bird. This coin deserves the best idea award.

However, I saw a negative comment online regarding the quality of this coin.

Category III - Best gift coin

Pandas: A Golden Gift of Friendship

$39.95
Mintage: 88,888

It's a gold-plated silver coin. It's shinny, cute, and more expensive than it should be. But my dad can't stop buying it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2 versions of the Matthew were accurate representations of the 1949 original but I question the choice of a 5oz and a 34mm Piedfort 1oz... if it were not to be reissued in the 36mm size then why not as the 2oz Renewed $ series... This was a missed opportunity IMO.

I agree with you re: the missed opportunity.

If the RCM ever decides to re-issue Canada's six circulating commemorative silver dollars (1935-67) as a set of 36mm proofs with selective gold plating I think it will have a winner on its hands. I will definitely be a buyer!

Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the RCM ever decides to re-issue Canada's six circulating commemorative silver dollars (1935-67) as a set of 36mm proofs with selective gold plating I think it will have a winner on its hands. I will definitely be a buyer!

Totally agree.

So would I, as many other Canadian Silver Dollar collectors.

Been waiting for a while, but not holding my breath.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo: Thanks for jumping in with your list!

The 2019 Maple Leaf Forever platinum coin is definitely an attractive piece with a classic design - I can see why it's a favorite of yours!

Your Gift category is interesting; I hadn't thought in those terms. The gold-plated Panda coin is nice - I think the pandas look particularly happy on that coin. I think the five-coin "Canada's Wildlife Treasures" set is another great gift item for younger collectors. What kid doesn't like animals?! I've been considering getting a set for a young niece of mine that has expressed some interest in coin collecting.

One comment on the "Pride of Two Nations" set mintage - don't forget about the 100,000 SMLs that are in the sets sold by the US Mint. I know that the RCM-sold sets had a slightly different package, but the coins in the two sets are identical. I have one of the USM sets and think both coins in it look fantastic!

Edited by commems
11/20/2019 2:10 pm
Valued Member
Canada
205 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems thanks for your feedback!

I don't have the "Pride of Two Nations" set. Even thought the set is on my list, I think it's too expensive right now given the 110,00 mintage. Hopefully I could get a deal in a couple of years.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05