Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Exciting New Addition To My Spanish Colonial Collection.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1498 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a coin type which I had almost given up hope of ever owning. Accordingly, I am really happy to have found this example - a Santiago mint Columnario.

A total of only 53 Santiago columnarios for 12 dates minted between 1751 and 1770 have been confirmed to exist. Only a handful more are possibly unaccounted for. For some dates only one or two examples are known.

The two most 'common' dates, 1768 and 1758, account for half of all examples known. I was therefore excited when the opportunity to add this rare specimen from 1764 arose. Only Five coins are known for this date.

This example is in lower grade, but shows otherwise all relevant detail. Wiith these coins, you really take what you get unless you are a collector of unlimited financial means. It is now the centerpiece of my Santiago mint Spanish Colonial collection.

Edited by GERMANICVS
11/20/2019 4:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats and thanks for the informative post. I think it's a great example.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I'm jealous! Will you attempt to get it certified?
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1498 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, TNG, for your comments.

Quote:
...Will you attempt to get it certified?

It have not thought about it, @jgenn, but given CNG is relatively close to me in Muenchen it sounds like a good idea.
Edited by GERMANICVS
11/20/2019 5:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, congrats, so happy for you....
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1498 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Greasy Fingers.

I am very happy, more so because some 10 years ago I had already purchased a Santiago Columnario dated 1768 which unfortunately turned out to be a fake.
(That was a huge disappointment, even if I came out of it whole).

Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is now the centerpiece of my Santiago mint Spanish Colonial collection.

It would be the centerpice of almost every spanish collection... SIMPLEMENTE BRUTAL :o
Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you seen the paper catalogue last time it came on a public auction?
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a very very scarce coin.

Do you by any chance also own one of the Colombia 1811-1816 bust type 8 Reales?
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1498 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be the centerpice of almost every spanish collection... SIMPLEMENTE BRUTAL :o. Have you seen the paper catalogue last time it came on a public auction?

Thank you, @txabs. Estoy muy contento - la culminacion de mi coleccion de la ceca de Santiago.

To answer your question regarding the catalog from the sale. This example originally formed part of the von Schuckman collection sold in 2001. This incredible collection contained 3 examples of Santiago columnarios. I have not seen that catalogue, but would dearly like to obtain a copy.

Quote:
Congratulations on a very very scarce coin.
Do you by any chance also own one of the Colombia 1811-1816 bust type 8 Reales?

@doges, I have not expanded in any major way into Nuevo Reino coinage, either the later coinage 1811-1816, or the earlier F. VII issues. As you may know, Columnarios from Nuevo Reino are actually scarcer than the Santiago coins. I believe somewhere in the region of 30 total are known.
Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It were also part of Cayón Subastas pillars collection, on 20th February this year. They were also 3 pieces of 8 from Santiago: yours, a 1765 and a 1768, plus a 1/2 real 1760 one.

I've sent a PM through spanish imperio-numismatico forum, I don't know how to do it on CCF, and I have to suppose there is only one "germanicvs" collector of Santiago coins xD.

Regards!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05