Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Victoria Large Cent - Reverse Struck Through Grease On Date?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  4:27 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This lovely old gal was a bargain bin find. I always look at 1859's and this one caught my eye, not because of the 9, but because of the 5...

Struck through grease, perhaps, or something else?

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42658 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly looks like it - nice example!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frog :)

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the 1859 narrow 9 reverse dies is often seen with a very faint 5. It is Haxby reverse E22 which is paired with obverse 20.

I can't tell from your photos if that is the coin you have, but if you compare it to the photos in the Haxby catalog for those dies you can probably tell for sure if it is the 20+E22 or some other die pair.

All 1859's are interesting!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once it shows up I'll give it a light conservation and photograph it; I should be able to match the rev. to Haxby; it also appears some of the A's on the obverse might be partially filled in?

Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clogged A's are most likely from just dirt and grease. A's do sometimes fill with metal, but that is very rare and the probability of two A's on the same coin clogging with cuds is about the same as being struck by lightning, twice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info JHax :) I might take after them with a rose thorn and see if I can't dislodge the gunk.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it today and spent a bit of time with Dr. Haxby's site and your info, Phil310
Definitely obverse #20. The die clogs are present on the right serif of the V in VICTORIA as well as the other three noted (the one on the A in CANADA is especially prominent, the left serif looks almost completely gone.)

Reverse 22 is a match for leaf 9 diagnostics, where it is stated that the EDS is not currently known, and that later die states develop cracks at L6, L8, L12, and L16.

My coin does in fact have die cracks at L6 and L8, with L6 being the stronger of the two (as Dr. Haxby noted for Stage 2) but there are no cracks at L12 or L16. I think that this might be a slightly earlier die state, or perhaps the opposite, that this a slightly later die state with the cracks at L12/L16 having been polished off. The 5 in the date is very weak when viewed perpendicular, but putting the coin more parallel makes the 5 a bit more visible.

Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die clogs can be very helpful identifying some of the dies. Good work paralyse!

Your coin is probably an earlier reverse die state before the state 2 listed in the catalog. State 1.5 should probably be added to the catalog when the E22 page is next updated. Thanks for the information.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll shoot high res photos tomorrow of the die features.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full obverse/reverse

Die clogs: V / last A in CANADA

Reverse loops

Leaf 9 stem

Leaf 6 die crack

n.b. the photos have been lightened a bit; in hand the color is a smooth chocolate brown.

Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice find paralyse. 20 + E22 is a scarcer die pair.

There is a fair amount of crud on the coin at leaves 12 and 16 which may be hiding the die cracks there. If you remove the crud you may find light die cracks at those two leaves which would make it die state 2. If there aren't cracks there, then it would be state 1.5.

If you look at the full side photo of the E22 at the bottom of the Haxby catalog page, you can see where the cracks are at leaves 12 and 16. There aren't closeup photos of those two cracks on the page.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It needs a good soak in acetone or something similar and then I'll see if it loosens up the crud. For what I paid ($3.99 USD) I can't complain too much, I suppose. :)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05