Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help - 1898 Indian Cent MS67

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spuny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Let me start by saying that I have very little knowledge of coins. However, there is an auction ending soon that has what appear to be very valuable coins based on what is marked on them. One is an 1898 Indian cent MS67. It is marked with a value of $20,000. Based on what I can find, this seems to be waaaaayyyy over priced. Can you please give me your opinions of its value? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42715 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Complete insanity. I'd need larger, cropped pics to grade it properly, but it's nowhere near MS-67. Know your dealer!

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
11/22/2019 4:13 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spuny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, I know nothing about these, but they look like they will go very cheap compared to the price on them. If I just had a very conservative estimate of what they may be worth, I would jump on some. Here is another:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11998 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , First of all this is a raw non slabbed or graded coin by TPG . It was put into a 2x2 card board holder and graded by Joe Shmoe ! It's grade is nowhere near MS-67 more like EF/AU . Value maybe $20 . Stay clear of this one .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spuny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys very much for the replies. I always see what appear to be good buys on coins, but I don't know enough about the topic to jump in. I hope to learn! Thanks again for the help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11998 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1903 is in much better condition but is not an $8,500 coin . Need larger pics to determine an MS grade . Value $85 or less .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4726 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers have been hyping coins with moonshot hand-written grades for a long time. 99.9999% of the time their hand-written grade is nowhere near what an actual legitimate 3rd party grade would be.

Do not spend hard earned money on things you know nothing about.

Take the time to learn about the coin business (grading, buying and selling) before stepping into the mine field.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Self Graded Why not go MS 68
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spuny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if the grade was right it wouldn't be worth near that, would it? I thought maybe there was an error or some other uniqueness.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2093 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hit a nice jackpot awhile back in Vegas...wanted to spend it on a coin or two and not just blow it. Do you know what that guy at the coin shop sold me............a couple of books and told me read the book before buying the coin..
Still holding onto most of that jackpot money

Edited: however I would go after that 03, up 80/90 bucks
Edited by Greasy Fingers
11/22/2019 11:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Possibly the seller ment that is the price for about 10 rolls of those. And even at that, it would be over priced.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05