Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is The Cherrypickers' Guide What I'm Looking For In A Book?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  10:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CozyCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought the 2020 spiral Red Book recently, and while it's good, I wanted in depth stuff on error coins. Is the Cherrypickers' Guide what I'm looking for? I want a physical book, but I didn't see a new or recent one on Amazon, and the other ones are old and also expensive. How is Strike It Rich?
Edited by CozyCoin
11/30/2019 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2485 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend the Cherrypickers Guide over Strike it Rich. A lot of controversial and debunked varieties are still in Strike it Rich.

Strike it Rich has some of the lesser known and more minor varieties and even includes errors. I also found some of the info to be misleading and confusing at times especially when it came to the price estimates, they were WAY off on some. Also, it doesn't emphasize rarity enough, gives newbies a little too much false hope (Just look at that title!). Strike it Rich also has a focus on coins that you find in circulation, it is missing classic coins and commemoratives. I can't remember if it even had wheat cents or not.

Cherrypickers guide focus solely on varieties, no errors, and only has the more notable and significant ones. It has varieties from all US coins, classic to present. Prices are a bit more reliable, but should still be taken with a grain of salt.

Honestly I recommend using websites more than books. Websites are constantly updated and have unlimited space. Books can become outdated and don't have unlimited pages. Books in conjunction with websites is the best way to go.

error-ref.com
doubleddie.com
cuds-on-coins.com
coppercoins.com
varietyvista.com
traildies.com

The newest Cherrypickers Guides are 6th Edition Volume I ( Half Cents to Nickels) and 5th Edition Volume II ( half dimes to Commemoratives). You should be able to get them for around $30 a piece.

6th Edition Volume II is not out yet. I believe it was planned for 2020 but the coauthor recently passed, so I'm not sure if it's still in the works.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30393 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the CPG fourth edition volume 1 from 2001. Do not remember what I paid for it. I use web site way more than the book,but I do recommend a CPG. It has a lot of good info on the minting process and other info like that. I don't use it to look up individual variety coins though,I use web site for that. So try and get the newest one for the denomination you are interested in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7083 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cherrypicker Guides, while fantastic books, don't really cover error coins, they are focused on die varieties. For error coins, I would look to CONECA first, subscribe to their magazine, it's one of the best periodicals on error coins around. Also look at minting process books, you need to fully understand the entire minting process to be able to understand how error coins are made.

Quote:
I believe it was planned for 2020 but the coauthor recently passed, so I'm not sure if it's still in the works.

Yes the new edition is in the works now. Bill Fivaz has contracted other photographers to help him. JT Stanton passed away and was the photographer, and printer of the previous editions, he was also a friend of mine, the variety collecting community lost a great when he passed away. I'd expect the new edition to arrive in late 2020 or early 2021.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30393 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought of this,I know you wanted a physical book but here is a great website FULL of good info http://www.error-ref.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CozyCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information! Looks like I'll stick with the internet for now and check out those links. I'm gonna start learning HTML/web development again and gonna practice by making lists of particular coins I'm interested in finding so I don't forget (years for example) when I'm searching. Even if I got a book on errors and varieties that would still help and I'd like to do it.

So I've been meaning to ask, what is the difference between an error coin and a variety? The word variety makes me think they're intentional, different versions of a coin or something. Variety shows have different acts. Does variety in the case of coins refer to mistakes in coins that more than one exist (extra tree Minnesota quarter)? Do errors mean unique errors?
Edited by CozyCoin
12/02/2019 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2485 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does variety in the case of coins refer to mistakes in coins that more than one exist (extra tree Minnesota quarter)? Do errors mean unique errors?

That's partly right. Die varieties occur during the creation of the die, so all coins struck with the dies have the die variety. Errors are one-off and unique, like striking and planchet errors.

There is a gray area in between that doesn't really have an accepted name (I like "die events" though). Issues, like cracks, breaks, some clashes, etc., that occur during the use of the die, but not the creation, fall into this. They don't occur during the creation of the die so some coins struck with the die will not have it, but once the event happens, it will show up on all coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7083 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think of coin dies (two - one obverse and one reverse) as fingers to a hand. Each seperate die has it's own fingerprint. These are things that vary on each die, placement of punched dates, die gouges, die cracks from failing die fatigue, etc. Now as time goes on, dies are moved around during the mintage, so obverse die #1 is paired up with reverse die #1 to make coins on Monday, then on Tuesday Obverse die #1 is paired up with reverse die #2 and Obverse die #2 is paired up with reverse die #4 both sets making all new die varieties. Some varieties change over time, die cracks and cuds being the best examples, so a particular die variety can have different "states" depending on where they were made in the time-line of the life of that particular die pairing.

A die variety is simply put a coin with a known pairing of dies, some are especially neat to collectors, such as doubled/tripled dies or re punched dates, interesting die cracks, etc. basically anything that isn't the direct result of a minting error (double struck, off center, brockage, etc.) can be a die variety.

Some well studied die varieties are VAM IDs on Morgan and Peace dollars, Sheldon or Newcomb IDs on Large cents, Greer numbers on Seated quarters, Overton #s on Bust halves would all be types of die varieties.

Error coins are direct results of something going wrong during the minting process. Off center strikes, double struck, tripled or multi struck coins, planchet flaws in the blank metal, error coins should not go out of the mint, but thankfully for collectors they do slip through sometimes. You are correct in thinking all errors are unique, as there may be errors that mimic each other but they are all unique. Varieites will have many made as they are coming from a die pairing with a noticeable difference from a similar die.

The mentioned site above http://www.error-ref.com/ is a good place to start, read up on the die variety page to see all the various ways a coin can be classified as a collectible variety.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CozyCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Tanman and westcoin! That helps a lot! Although I don't quite get everything you two explained to me (I have a lot to learn), this does help.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of had the same question, so this helped me a little also. I was looking for a book or website that listed errors with pictures, I'm not interested in the value, but before I dump a bunch of unneeded coins back in the bank I wanted to make sure I wasn't dumping something I should keep, for example the Wisconson Statehood Quarter with the extra leaf.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05