Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 X 2 Coin Flips - Question On Using

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  08:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Farm1942 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
new to this. would appreciate what other do when using 2 x 2 coin flips. do you staple, or tape, or use self adhesive flips? which is best in your opinions? Staples would protrude thru, but OK? thanks for the help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

I'm in the NEVER use staples camp. Anything that can damage your coins should be avoided. I like to use Scotch Tape over the edge of the 2x2 or double sided Scotch Tape if I'm working with a tiny coin. The Silver 3 likes to move around even in the smallest 2x2 so I tape it on the inside and as close to the window as possible without showing.

Using the double-sided Scotch Tape is like making your own self sealing flip.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4714 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get a flat stack stapler that flattens the staples. Canadian about $13
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I use staples to seal two sides of a flip. No need on the side that doesn't open. I keep a pliers handy to flatten the staples. Easy and no need to buy separate stuff.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They make staplers that flatten the staple ends automatically. They're called "flat clinch" staplers and I recommend them highly as they prevent one stapled flip from scratching another the coin in another.

Cost is $10 - $15 and you can get them anywhere but Amazon appears to be the least expensive retailer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8258 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
I like using staples. I use a quality bullnose plier. Flattening the staples does at least five functions.

1. It makes 2x2's easier to insert, into and remove from non PVC pages and does not leave ugly raised evidence in the pages of staple bumps.

2. In storage boxes, I can fit more coins inside since they are flatter.

3. Stapling and flattening the staples probably reduces the amount of external air that could reach the coin inside and help prevent environmental issues.

4. Of course, the staples being flush with the 2x2 will not disturb or damage a neighboring coin if they come in contact through the windows in the 2x2.

5. I believe when I squeeze down the staples, in most cases, it spreads the window over the rim enough to almost always raise and stretch the window off the surface of the coin.

These have been my tools for many thousand staplings. You get good at it. Be careful that you buy a quality stapler that won't overhang and damage the coin.
Use quality staples!
Practice with your stapler on a folded cereal box cardboard first before damaging your coins. Learn where the nose of your stapler closes and how close to the cardboard it stops in relation to the windows.

My equipment
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
12/02/2019 10:08 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30401 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with just carl. If you are using two sided tape,make sure the adhesive is coin friendly.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Farm1942 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so no one uses coin flips that are self adhesive? Is that because of cost or some other reason - like can't get them open in the future? Or are the self adhesive flips just not quality enough? I really appreciate the feed back. It seems stapling is the majority approach............Farm1942...........thanks.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a flat clinch stapler. But then I touch the staples to make sure there is no raised metal as commercial-grade staplers are not always perfect. If so I do use a plier to flatten.

One caution. Make sure you use quality steel staples. I've seen enough older 2x2s that had rust marks around the staples. That cannot be good for the coin.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many people use the self adhesive flips, but I've encountered two problems with them.

First, at least in some instances (probably in the less expensive ones), the adhesives weaken over time, causing air exposure and possible coin loss.

Second, they seem to be very problematic on larger coins because of the smaller adhesive area and the increased weight of the coin. The failure rate on these flips for half and dollar coins seems very high.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11226 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This topic was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7083 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the flat cinch stapler myself on the 2x2 cardboard and mylar holders. It's what 90% of my 2 cent collection is in. For 2x2 flips I don't use anything at all, I just fold them, unless they are proof coins then I'll put the coins in a poly baggie and insert it into the 2x2 flip.

Always check the staples as previously stated and carefully use some pliers if needed to make sure the ends are down smooth. When I need to remove the coins, I don't pull them apart, I use a razor blade or x-acto type knife to carefully cut around the mylar and then push the coin out onto a soft padded jewelry tray, or towel.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
Australia
13192 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so no one uses coin flips that are self adhesive? Is that because of cost or some other reason - like can't get them open in the future? Or are the self adhesive flips just not quality enough?

I use the self-adhesive type, if available. There are three downsides to self-adhesive 2x2s:
- Single use only;
- More expensive than regular 2x2s;
- For some brands of self-adhesive 2x2, the sticky stuff goes off over time, making it less sticky - so you end up having to use staples anyway.

Dealers often like using self-adhesive 2x2s because they look cleaner, and dealers don;t have to worry about constantly taking the coins out to have a look at them more closely.

I personally wouldn't trust sticky-tape anywhere near a coin. The adhesives in self-adhesive 2x2s have (presumably!) been tested with coins. Stickytape hasn't; who knows what chemical vapours are being emitted as the stickytape degrades. Stickytape always "goes off" within a decade, looking unsightly.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30401 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't pull them apart, I use a razor blade or x-acto type knife

I use a pocket knife or flat blade screwdriver and bend the ends of the staples straight and then pry the staple out from the otherside.I would not feel comfortable putting a sharp blade near the coin to cut it out of the Mylar.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4714 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try using a pair of tweezers to bend the staple and then pull it out.
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05