Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Government Bonds Of All Types

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,457Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  03:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are so many different types of government bonds, from municipal bonds (probably the most common) to state and federal issues. These deserve a topic, I think, so let's start one.

Here's a curiosity to kick things off. This is a U.S. Treasury bond, of sorts, printed around 1869. But actually, it isn't. I'll give you more to the story, but let's see if anyone can figure it out first.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10702 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  04:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume the "rest of the story" involves those triangular punches or marks.

I know nothing of these.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Edited by spruett001
12/05/2019 04:17 am
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assume the "rest of the story" involves those triangular punches or marks.

An astute observation -- yes, you are correct.

This is a page from the "American Bond Detector" released in 1869 by Laban Heath. Many collectors are familiar with Heath's series of counterfeit detectors for banknotes -- this large book was intended to identify counterfeit U.S. Treasury bonds. The dark triangles were a method of obscuring parts of the engraved plates so they couldn't be used for counterfeiting themselves (the Treasury produced them specifically for Heath's book). Unfortunately, Heath had a great deal of trouble in getting the bond plates printed in adequate quality. This pushed back the publication date by nearly a year and eventually led to an unsuccessful lawsuit; he probably lost money on the book. No other edition of the American Bond Detector was ever printed and Heath focused on the smaller bank note detectors from then on. The bond book only shows up in occasional auctions and typically brings $3,000 to $5,000. A digital version can be viewed online at https://archive.org/stream/american...n95/mode/2up.
This is one of the few ways collectors can obtain examples of these early bonds, many of which are non-existent outside of institutional specimens.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now let's swing to the opposite end of the spectrum of government bonds. Here are a few of my favorite municipal bonds, issued for various purposes.

Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now let's swing to the opposite end of the spectrum of government bonds. Here are a few of my favorite municipal bonds, issued for various purposes.
Nice examples!
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And some state government bonds...

Note the last one is a "Mental Hygiene Improvement" bond - I wonder what that one was for.
Edited by GregAlex
12/10/2019 7:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And some state government bonds...
Very nice!

Quote:
Note the last one is a "Mental Hygiene Improvement" bond - I wonder what that one was for.
Interesting.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A real beauty arrived today! This is an 1866 Bounty Bond from the State of New York. Bounty bonds were basically bonuses paid to get potential recruits to enlist. Since this was issued just after the Civil War, perhaps it was for service already rendered.

Four nice female vignettes adorn the front of the bond, printed by National Bank Note. The engraving is superb and even the back side and the bond coupons are attractive. Apart from the punch cancels, it's a home run.

Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A real beauty arrived today! This is an 1866 Bounty Bond from the State of New York.
Excellent example!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic examples greg!
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to be on a roll with New York state bonds. Got a great deal on this one from a separate seller. It's from 1868 with a couple nice portraits of Washington and Franklin.

Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
669 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
669 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05