Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 BU Buffalo With A Nice Strike - Grade Me?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
93 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  11:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dgleich to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received this one in the mail and photographed it last night. First coin images in several years. They came out decent but have to build a white base and add another light perhaps. Thoughts?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43768 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what that toning might be covering, but it looks like there might be several ticks on the cheek, so I'll say 64+.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12361 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65+ Nice tone .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8362 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Buffalo nickel is a beautiful design
MS64 I suppose. Very nice!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
7923 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dgleich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Links to LARGE images....

Edited by dgleich
12/05/2019 4:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unreal!

66 would not be out of the question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4109 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in at MS64 with a chance for 65.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nicely struck for a 14. LIBERTY is typically weak on these. the overall toning is consistent and quite eye appealing that will help lift the value a little. nice fully rounded horn and split tail. MS65 and I agree it has a shot at 66. hopefully fortcollins see this one and comments on it.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dgleich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. When I saw the image of it initially I was taken with the strike. Especially the reverse. It has quite a bit of luster and looks completely natural, like a slightly purplish pewter color in hand.

PS: I just realized after two days that I posted this in the wrong forum. oops.
Edited by dgleich
12/06/2019 7:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1048 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic Buff!

LIBERTY is not strike weakness. It is a design issue on 1913-14-15 Buffs.

Your coin has slightly mismatched die wear, a late middle die state obverse paired with an early middle die state reverse. On the obverse die, there are metal flow signs and a common later die state crack from the bottom of the first feather, through the second feather, running to the braid, and another weak early state die crack from the central chin to the rim. The strike is a bit soft, but roughly average for 1914.

The ever-present clash marks exist, with some die polishing to address the clash. The Indian's chin / EPS clash was polished on the obverse, but not the reverse. The second feather / buffalo's head (spiked head) clash was polished on both dies. The Indian's hairline /level ground clash was minimal, and left unpolished. The LIBERTY / right rear leg clash was left untouched on the obverse (probably because of the weak LIBERTY design) and was polished on the reverse.

On the obverse, the fields are intact, but there are light surface contact marks on the devices. There are small, but evident, contact marks on the lower ribbons, braid knot, and forehead, and a series of light abrasions on the high points of the cheek. There is a small corrosion point in the upper hair, to the right of the feather tie. By contact marks alone, the obverse looks to be MS-66, but would have a point deduction for strike and die state. The obverse nets to MS-65.

The reverse is unusually nice for an early buff. There is a minor contact mark above the "I" in FIVE, a small lateral scratch on the buffalo's shoulder, and a minor contact mark below the curl of the tail. There are two small discoloration spots beneath the buffalo's eye and above the beard. I see the reverse as MS-67, with no deductions.

Overall, I think this coin should net to MS-66, with average eye appeal for the grade. What separates your coin from the Heritage Auction MS-67 is die state and resulting strike quality and eye appeal, rather than contact marks.

Fantastic early survivor coin. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dgleich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins Thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much detail and insight. It was a pleasure spending an hour reading and re reading your post and searching out all of the items you discussed. What a cool hobby this is when you can loose yourself in those small historic detail within a tiny coin as if it is a massive work of art. They (coins) are all so unique and it seems that Buffalos have so much going on in them and so many varying aspects to strike, die state, tone, level of luster etc.. There is so much more than the amount or lack of bag marks and nicks. Thank you again, I very much appreciate it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18660 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking MS-65
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05