Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is ICG A Reputable And Recognized Coin Grading Service?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 856Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
135 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  1:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know PCGS, NGC and ANAC but I see a lot of ICG graded coins in those blue labels. Also seem to notice many of the ICG coins note details like cleaned etc but they might just be coincidence. just wondering what collectors think of ICG graded coins compared to PCGS and NGC. thanks
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33550 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not for me. Use the search box for more info on ICG.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
6937 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the I Cant Grade Sevice. I often buy their slabs right out of the pail. But in all seriousness they kinda really suck.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me put it like this, when it come to PCGS and NGC I don't really like their grading as I find it either too lenient or too inconsistent, however I would use PCGS and NGC almost any day over ICG. I find from what I have seen that the "I Can't Grade" joke about them stand true on many occasions more than I think an "expert third party grader" should have.

As far as USA coins, I actually think ANACS is (from a purely non market point of view) the best in terms of grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8088 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there was a "3rd tier" grading service, that's where ICG would be. They're basically one step above the basement slabbers.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3393 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICG does - like ANACS identify more varieties than the big two.

They also slab counterfeit coins in their bright yellow "Educational" label slab, which is good for protection of the coin.

For some idea of scale, their pop report lists 97 1851 3CS. NCG has slabbed 1,325...
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8658 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
grading by CCF ranking members here is far and above better than ICG
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, have you seen some of the G4-VG8 Indian cents NGC and PCGS are now grading straight? What a deal $36.00 per coin slab. ICG is just fine for me on anything under 200.00 how many critics of ICG have purchased more than a dozen and compared a VG8 or F12 Indian cent or Buffalo to the other 3 TPG's? I have not seen the drastic ineptitude some allude to. I bargain shop ICG Buffalo and Indians and have encountered 2 unlabeled cleaned coins out of over 24 ICG coins. ICG is simply an affordable alternative to the other 3. Will I buy a 1909 S vdb MS in ICG slab probably not. I have seen some solid low grade coins in their slabs, pick and choose I say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5178 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think ICG is OK for circulated coins but they seem a little loose for mint state pieces. I have successfully crossed some ICG coins into PCGS slabs at the same grade, but other MS coins were downgraded a point or two in the process.
They seem reasonably accurate on authentication. I am willing to purchase ICG-graded coins if they look good and the price is right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8658 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is where grading the coin and not the slab comes into play. regardless of the TPG
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest advantage I've seen with ICG is that they slab ancients. Other than that, I actually prefer ANACS. PCGS and NGC market grade and I prefer techical grading. I just don't think that the rarity of a coin should affect the grade, though it would certainly affect the value.
Knowledge is the key to collector success!
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't think that the rarity of a coin should affect the grade, though it would certainly affect the value.

I also don't think toning should have an effect on the numeric grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3091 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICG at one time was an extremely competitive service. When it first came out it's slabs were one of the ones to seek out due to their high grading standards. In later years, the public began to sour on them due to their taking on the mass grading of modern coins (and perceived generosity of giving out the lofty 70 grade), although their classic coin grading was overall still pretty good. They had some of the best graders and most knowledgeable in the business, including J.P. Martin (who I met a couple of times). I think J.P. stayed on with ANACS when ICG moved to Florida (there was a very odd company switch-over which I still don't understand exactly what happened; in my view the ICG office remained in Denver and renamed itself as ANACS and the ANACS office renamed itself as ICG and moved to Florida, but that's obviously not really what happened). I also was friends with one of the graders, Cameron Keifer, who unfortunately suffered a complete mental breakdown (due to a number of factors, none the least of which was dealing with financial challenges) and committed suicide at a very young age.

Today, I would possibly buy a coin in their slab, but I would scrutinize it carefully and know what I'm buying. I would guess they're still reputable and they're trying to be a contender in a very tight grading service market.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The biggest advantage I've seen with ICG is that they slab ancients.

Currently ICG does 1600 to present which they all do (unless they've changed and didn't update their forms), the old ICG did ancients as well in the green label slab. ANACS and NGC do ancients as well, but NGC doesn't guarantee them to be authentic though Barry makes his best effort that they are.

Quote:
PCGS and NGC market grade and I prefer techical grading.

All the TPGs grade that way to their company standard. The market grading aspect of it is overblown in general though, it holds back just as many coins for being ugly if not more than the coins it helps for insane eye appeal.

The date and MM matters for all of them though as different machines and quality were produced in different places. It's not an issue anymore with ultramoderns.

Quote:
I also don't think toning should have an effect on the numeric grade.

It's impossible to remove it. It's part of eye appeal which is part of a grade.

Quote:
I think J.P. stayed on with ANACS when ICG moved to Florida (there was a very odd company switch-over which I still don't understand exactly what happened; in my view the ICG office remained in Denver and renamed itself as ANACS and the ANACS office renamed itself as ICG and moved to Florida, but that's obviously not really what happened).

That's basically what happened in terms of employees though I believe those locations are incorrect. They both got bought out and several of the ICG and ANACS staff basically switched companies. It wasn't a 100 percent switch obviously but there were several that did

Not to long after ICG actually ended up filing a lawsuit against ANACS for using their previous knowledge to win some grading contracts away from them. If I remember correctly ICG ended up getting a settlement out of it. There's a bunch of decisions on it if anyone wants to look them up.
SLATER NUMISMATICS LLC v. DRIVING FORCE LLC ANACS
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 856Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05