Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finally Going To My First Coin Show. Seeking Advice On Selling/Trading.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3646 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:22 pm Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going to the West Suburban Coin Show And Collectible Expo in Countryside, IL. I have a three United States Prestige Sets that I'd like to sell or trade. I've got a 1990, 1991 and 1992 set and a lone 1991 USO Silver Dollar. I guess I just don't know what to do or what to expect from a dealer. I see prices for what these go for on EBay. I'm not expecting that. They have to make a profit on their end. But what should I expect? Would I be correct in assuming that I'd come out better with a trade? Just seeking advice from those who have 'been there, done that'. Thank you kindly.

Edit: I'm seeking some F/VF examples for my 7070.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
12/05/2019 5:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12928 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends dealer to dealer, but generally you're better off selling to a dealer that deals in that kind of stuff and then buying what you want with the money. You usually end up doing worse on trades for that stuff especially when the dealer doesn't deal in that type of stuff. The offers can be all over the place table to table as well.

It's also very possible that your best move is to sell them on eBay if you want to maximize the return.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3007 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is anything like Canadian Mint product, there are more sellers than buyers.

Enjoy the show and try to learn something, even if you end up keeping your stuff.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say from experience is that there is likely gonna be a few dealers who will completely lowball your items, then there is a chance that there will be that one dealer who surprises you with their offer (in a good way).

Also remember that a lot of dealers will trade for your items if you're interested in one or more of their items. Often times your items will go farther in an item for item trade than they would in an item for money trade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18928 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get there early and you can find free coffee and donuts at a table to the left of the entrance. Look for a dealer named Robert Griffin near the rear of the place. Usually has several tables. If he is there, tell him your a friend of Carl and you want an honest value for your coins. And don't forget that this is December and it is a two day show so you can go there on Saturday or Sunday. Supposed to open at 9 AM but you will see people in there lots earlier than that. Naturally free parking and free admittance to the place. Mostly nice dealers all over the place. Walk around before you do anything and see what others may be selling similar items for. Do not carry a back pack. They irritate people no end and sometimes the security guard will tell people with one to take it off or leave. Sometimes very crowded so keep money in a front pocket for safety. Have fun and I'll see you there.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4190 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wholesale price (i.e., dealer-to-dealer price) for your Prestige sets is: 1990 = $22, 1991 = $32 and 1992 = $35. Many dealers will offer ~60% - 70% of these prices when buying from the public. Be prepared for offers in that range.

I agree with the comments regarding finding the best offers from dealers who sell similar material. They need to replenish their stock and would likely have the most interest in your items (unless they already have sufficient inventory of what you are selling). The same applies to trades - trades with a dealer who sells the same type of merchandise will yield a better return, but only if they have something that interest you.

Good luck!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16131 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a long time since I worked in a shop, but back then we bought from the public at 20% back of bid and sold dealer to dealer at 10% back of bid.

Prestige sets for some reason don't seem to have a lot of interest. At our local club meetings they tend to sell for around $25.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3646 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your advice and knowledge. JustCarl, I'll be there on Sunday early so maybe I'll have a chance of finding you. I'm really excited both for the show and secondly for the possibility of filling a couple of holes in my 7070.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14443 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
filling a couple of holes in my 7070.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you manage to pick up at this show!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18928 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JustCarl, I'll be there on Sunday early so maybe I'll have a chance of finding you

I went on Saturday. Great show but I spent to much money.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16131 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I spent to much money.

Sounds like the definition of a great show.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some more info, for those wanting to attend.

https://www.coinshows-usa.com/West-...ectible-Expo
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3646 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a great first show. Bought a Large Cent to finish them off in my 7070. Also bought a Coronet Half Cent. Upgraded two Lincoln Cents that were practically culls in my collection. Had a great time. Thank you justCarl for hooking me up with Robert. Really nice knowledgeable dealer. I decided not to sell my Prestige sets. I ordered the Dansco books for the Modern Commemorative Silver Dollars and the Modern Half Dollars. From what I understand they are pretty easy sets to put together and I'm looking for something simple. I'll post pictures of my new additions soon.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16131 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the commemoratives, are you going to do them in proof ot Unc?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3646 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the silver proofs.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05