Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 D Lincoln Wheat Cent. Strange Mint Action On Obverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  07:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New acquisition. I Just like the look. Mint error? A Die issue? Damage? Toning over time.

I need a name for it. I'm thinkin:

"LincolnBeThinkin"
"LincolnTricity"
"LincolnHalo"
"WrongSocketAbe"
"SaintLincoln"

Any ideas?

Hmmmm. Anyway, another nice coin for the collection effort. Obverse may be close to condition it was at strike (weak strike?), save some minor wear, and the crazy toning. Because Reverse does not look circulated at all, or a little. Rim amazingly clean. Hmmm.

See what you folks think. Here's some pics:

Edited by BuyGuns
12/07/2019 08:00 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14447 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe, "time to retire that obv die"?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence...yes sir. Kind of a mismatch I'd say. Lol. But it got me this cool coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3739 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of looks like radial smearing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6240 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43786 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No wonder so many of these look terrible when worn.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41639 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one has the die wear that shows on the wrong side of the devices.

Normally the die wear is on the devices closest to the rim. But I'm thinking the wide rim was causing this die wear to show on the opposite side of the devices. I spotted this on most of the years that the wide rim was being used. It shows on both sides of the digits.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/07/2019 1:10 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General question about these type of coins. Since the Reverse is clearly MS, and Obverse probably somewhere in G/F/XF bandwidth, would a TPG grade this type of coin on the technical's, thereby giving it a grading of the worse side?

Or a collective/overall grading based on average of the two sides?

Or maybe just ungradable?

I have seen coins like the 1922 'No D' being graded say XF40 "Strong Reverse" The Obverse Die for that year had issues back then I believe, such as the missing mint mark. Working on getting one by the way. lol And I think there are similar coins like that out there. Just a curiosity question.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12374 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with Saint Lincoln , Nice image, but I believe this coin is AT .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about, "My Latest Shiny Toy".
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha. Ok T-Bop and Merc. Rarely does this Pebble disagree with the Bedrocks and Pillars, but I don't see AT here (getting bolder :-)). That green being a big Copper type tone (Copper Carbonate?). I have seen other Lincolns with that strange Green and on the same place...Hair, and everywhere. Take that BEDROCK!! Just kidding.

But matters not. I think this is a nice addition to the group. Grading probably not necessary (but going to put under 100x magnification to see if the toning texture compares to other known good toned samples. I found most toning to have similar textures/features under magnification. Just my psycho thing to do).

But 'Saint Lincoln' is a top contender. lol. My daughter likes 'LincolnBeThinkin'. "Wrong Socket Abe" is growing on me Shiny Toy? Hmmmm Let me sleep on that, though...it is indeed that! Ok Thx.
Edited by BuyGuns
12/08/2019 11:45 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding a couple more pics for toning viewing. Angle of lighting lessening the tone. And Abe's bad hair day. Like the Heat Miser in Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. Ok...done with this coin.

Edited by BuyGuns
12/09/2019 04:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-Bop...I have revised my opinion on this coins toning. The toning may be AT, or at minimum, real toning, but with a 'coating' over the whole coin. I did not touch this coin really as I try to use cotton gloves and just leave it in the flip. But I took it out, and after a bit of handling it, felt like there was a very soft and/or slippery coating on it. Ever so slight. And I started to wonder if it was messed with. I looked under the microscope as I said I would, and did not really see any thing odd, but the feel of this coin is odd. Too good looking for it's age. The Reverse is darn near flawless. Best Wheat Stalks I ever seen under a microscope. But Obverse has that wear. Genuine yes....but AT/Coating may be the case. Maybe Mercuric Nitrate soaked, and then wiped a while. I hear that gives copper a very soft but lusterous look. Could be. But why ruin a coin like that? Sad if true.

May never know though as it will just be a part of collection without grading.

But just wanted you to know. And if true...you have one heck of a set of eyes to notice that. It took me to handle it some more to be suspicious. Those pictures do not show the potential coating in any way. So for what it's worth...impressive. But done with this coins discussion. Time to move on. Thx.
Edited by BuyGuns
12/10/2019 4:52 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05