Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CAC Sticker ? Good To Have?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
112 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  09:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is the Green CAC cert. sticker really important to have? It basically double certifies the coin by another grader? I like the idea of that and I seem to see many CACs on the older green PCGS holders and wondering why? Also are there issues with any counterfeit CAC stickers out there because it doesn't seem that difficult for someone to create them. Thoughts?
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a marketing point, yes they are quite good to have as a lot of collector stand by their grading standards. However from a purely collector point of view I would say it doesn't really matter if you grade the coin for yourself. (Buying the coin and not the holder kind of thing).

As to why old green labels tend to get stickered more often likely has to do with that the TPGS were a lot stricter or accurate depending on how you see it back in the days of green (labels).
Since CAC's whole thing is stickering coins that are 'solid' for the grade, combine that with the stricter standards and viola, better coins for the grade.

As for the counterfeiting question, I acctually don't know, but it does surprise Me that I don't recall ever hearing of fake CAC stickers.
Edited by Numis-Northerner
12/07/2019 09:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like CAC stickers on anything that's proportionally very high grade. Like I'm planning to buy a MS67 or 67+ Morgan for my type set. I absolutely want a CAC sticker as it is just quality assurance.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit CAC stickers have not been an issue as the Cert # can be checked on CAC website. I have seen a counterfeit with the holder, coin and CAC sticker all counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12928 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However from a purely collector point of view I would say it doesn't really matter if you grade the coin for yourself. (Buying the coin and not the holder kind of thing).

It would be foolish to ignore market realities when dealing with higher/high value coins which is what CAC is intended for.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be foolish to ignore market realities when dealing with higher/high value coins which is what CAC is intended for.

As someone who considers themselves to be a dealer I completely agree, and I do think when comes time for a collector to sell, be it to pay for essentials, medical bills, college etc its a smart move to have any help in bringing extra cheese (money) in.

How I should have put it is, don't let a lack of a CAC sticker tell you a coin is 'lesser' if you're buying purely for yourself, you the collector should decide if it fits your wants.

Same with the other way around, I have seen some coins that I personally find ugly with CAC stickers, and I think a collector should still be critical when buying a coin with both a TPG and a CAC guarantee for their own collections.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently PCGS announced that they are offering Registry CAC sets for PCGS coins that have the CAC sticker. The CAC sticker has become the standard for identifying quality coins for grade. If you are buying and/or selling slab coins, it is important to understand the CAC marketability and how and why some coins sticker and some do not. The bottom line is that CAC stickered coins at the same grade typically sell for more money than coins without the sticker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC is nice, but keep in mind it is also another opinion. Grading in its entirety is subjective and mistakes can happen.

One example of this is I had a half dime that was graded AU58 by a TPG. It never CAC'd at the 58 level. I got it regraded by another TPG and it upgraded to MS63, and resubbed to CAC in the new slab and it stickered.

Higher value coins it is appealing, but I wouldn't let it be the end all factor when buying a coin.
Edited by Steelers72
12/09/2019 08:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12928 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How I should have put it is, don't let a lack of a CAC sticker tell you a coin is 'lesser' if you're buying purely for yourself, you the collector should decide if it fits your wants.

Same with the other way around, I have seen some coins that I personally find ugly with CAC stickers, and I think a collector should still be critical when buying a coin with both a TPG and a CAC guarantee for their own collections.

Agreed. While I do think people should be aware of how the market will treat their coin eg CAC or not or PCGS vs other company if for no other reason than to be able to realize when people are just blowing smoke at them trying to get a higher price, at the end of the day if they don't enjoy the coin there is no point in buying it.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with most here that CAC stickers do bring a higher price, but I also have seen what I consider to be ugly coins with CAC stickers on them.
I am not into business selling coins so I don't know the actual mark up of said stickered coins. I buy what I like regardless of stickers. I do prefer slabbed coins when buying online only to ensure its not counterfeit. I will buy a lower grade coin over a higher just because it looks nicer to me.
The slabbed grade to me is just an opinion to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12928 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not into business selling coins so I don't know the actual mark up of said stickered coins.

They're all over the place. Some issues like gem gold and the high priced coin there can be a several thousand dollar difference or more, others like a $125 Morgan it's usually just the sticker price if that but added liquidity.

PCGS recently started a CAC registry section so if registries really do have as big of an impact on price as some people claim we could see the difference expand at all levels. I suspect if anything the difference will just grow in areas where stickers and the coins themselves are hard to come by or actually rare.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5868 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have felt that CAC is just another scam out there since its inception. Many dealers and collectors will pay a premium for it, however. If it's about money for you, then a CAC will increase the premium; if it's about the actual condition of the coin, I think it's a waste of money.
Knowledge is the key to collector success!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1278 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with Mom. But what if there was a CCF sticker
You could put Jbuck in charge
Just kidding. Its just a sticker. That cost more money after money has been spent to get it graded. Are this guys better then the graders? And lets not forget they are looking a coin that's already in a slab
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12928 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theres no scam about CAC. JA is one of the few standup guys in this industry and even ran or still does run a nonprofit to help collectors that were scammed. His experience is second to none with US coins and is one of the best learning tools for collectors out there, they don't even charge collectors for coins that don't sticker.

People are certainly free to ignore it, but the ship has sailed in terms of how the market treats CAC coins and the word scam should never be associated with them.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05