Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 5 Cent Coin - Need Help Determining What This Possible Error Is !!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  08:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Johnny59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have stumbled across this 2001 5 cent coin which has a ring around the outer ridges of the coin making it look like it has a square pattern.

Question: Is this something which is special or unique? Should I keep this coin due to it being worth something?

What would this be this called?
Thank you in advance

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5111 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone was going to try to make a Magician's coin but decided it would be too difficult and put it back into circulation.

No error I'm aware of would look like that straight from the mint, so I'd be fairly confident in saying PMD.

However, that's just my opinion, so hang onto it just in case someone else can come up with another answer.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2662 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is the weight of the coin, that would be a good starting point.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnny59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the weight is the same as compared to other 5 cent coins @silverwolf. Additionally it does not seem to be a Magicians coin @Nevol
Valued Member
Australia
271 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sort of thing is quite common on pennies and halfpennies. In my opinion it has something to do with the collar die. Exactly what I don't know.Like most of these things there is little info and lots of theories.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
587 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close up of groove with a USB Microscope may be able to show if it has been cut( PMD) in or not.
I have had a 1937 and 1938 Crowns with a similar groove cut in by a jewelers lathe.
It was done to set the Coin in Silver/Gold mounts but the groove was slightly deeper than yours in/on a much bigger Coin.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5111 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
groove cut in by a jewelers lathe.
Might have been doing a dummy run on a 5c before possibly damaging a more expensive coin.

Quote:
common on pennies and halfpennies
I've never seen anything similar on any decimal coin and I guess I've noodled a few hundred thousand of those in my time.

Collar errors are very obvious as part of the milling is completely missing

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question: Is this something which is special or unique? Should I keep this coin due to it being worth something?

I would say no, it's PMD but yes I would keep it due to it's uniqueness, but not for it's perceived worth.

I can't see how this type of error could occur during the minting process, unless the sheet that these blanks were cut from had this fault, but if this was the case then you would expect that more with the same fault would have been found?
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Auscoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
I have seen a few coins with the same line or damage/error sold recently pn ebay. For what it is worth they have all been 5 cent pieces and from 2001 also.
Dont know if that helps but they have been selling for around $30-$40.
Dont know if that makes them legit or PMD?
Valued Member
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi
I have seen a few coins with the same line or damage/error sold recently pn ebay. For what it is worth they have all been 5 cent pieces and from 2001 also.
Dont know if that helps but they have been selling for around $30-$40.
Dont know if that makes them legit or PMD?

Good pick up Auscoin, a quick look on eBay confirms that there are at least three 2001 5c coins with the same error up for sale at the moment.

Edit - tried showing the links to eBay but had no success ... try typing in 'Australian 5c 2001 Error Coin' to see.
Edited by coaster
12/11/2019 07:43 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5111 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting..I can't see this happening during the minting process at the RAM which leads me to think that the planchets had to be like this before the minting process.

All up I've found 6 coins on Ebay, 1 already sold, 3 currently for sale, 2 ended but not sold. Just click on the item # for the current ones

Can't see it being done mischievously, so faulty planchets to start with looks like the only logical explanation. If that's the case, the blanks suppliers were pretty lax, and so is the RAM to let it slip past them. How many others are there? Possibly many more yet to turn up.

What we really need is an Aussie who knows exactly how the minting process is done in Australia.

Ebay info:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austral...AOSwyhVd0S-n

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2001-Au...AOSwcyNdVPrn

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2001-Au...AOSw~LpctdCT

---------------------------------------------
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austral...AOSwDKxduj0O

Sold $39.00
---------------------------------------------
Ended - Not Sold

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
271 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What we really need is an Aussie who knows exactly how the minting process is done in Australia.

Couldn't agree more, but I believe Mint employees have to sign a confidentiality agreement, so not much info is known.
I have in the past had a close look at the milling on a lot of coins and I believe there is a whole new world of varieties in the shape of the teeth, missing teeth,part missing teeth, but put it on the backburner as many would say it is just damage. Also I had a quick look at my stash of the 2001 5 cent and have found similar grooving, mostly slight but it is there.2001 seems to have been a bad year for the Mint!!, with faults on most denominations.
A lot is spoken about faulty obverse and reverse dies but little info about collar die faults or damage. There is still a lot to learn in my opinion.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05