Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Large Cent Variety

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1452 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
under different lighting

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the photo of the second coin and posted last, Don, it appears that the 9 has been R/P'd and showing the underpunch on the left inside the upper oval. Is there an underpunch there?
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for any confusion, Rob. Only Rev. A has the thick 4. That is, we agree that the thick 4 occurs on only one die. And, again, that die also has a unique font 9 (though it's much better executed than the 4 is). My guess is that the thick 4 punch was done as a stopgap by someone in the Mint. It certainly wasn't the work of one of the standard character punch providers like Pinches.
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie might be right that there is less overall interest in true varieties vs. mint errors than there was years ago. I think it runs in cycles. In any case there is a core group of us who are dedicated to the study and collecting of varieties. And you, Rob, deserve a lot of credit for your work in furthering the cause.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim .... I think that there are 2 Reverse dies with the fat 4. You have the one with the larger knob and you have the R/P'd one that I have as photos 2 & 3 on the first page of this thread. I DO think, however, that there is only 1 fat 4 die that has a distinct R/P'd 9.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill, somehow I overlooked your photos of the clearly repunched 9/Fat 4. I'm too busy working on my new website with catalogs of Dominion cent dies and selected token series dies. Your photos certainly point strongly in the direction of two Fat 4 dies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since my recovery from the spinal surgery may take a bit until I can hunker over my microscope and get all the numbness out of my legs, I have piles of '59's sitting here gathering dust. I had mentioned to Phil that I could send 1000 or so down to him after the first of the year .. once he was done with the hubbub of updating your Vicky site with you. I'll send all the '58's, 9/8's and '59's down to him for looking over. I'm just worried about the insurance and/or loss.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1452 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the photo of the second coin and posted last, Don, it appears that the 9 has been R/P'd and showing the underpunch on the left inside the upper oval. Is there an underpunch there?

I beleave there is

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked my fat 4's, (7) none appear to have a repunched 9. Also checked my 9/9's (8) all are of the illustration on p338 of Charlton 65ed. Based on JHax description I think this to be his his Rev. E.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dan
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all. Just a quick note: I checked 9 thin 9's and 4 fat 9's and found no repunching - then remembered to check my certified coins. Here is a thin 4 with repunched 9. Sorry about the so-so pictures. I was in a hurry.

Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a last question, is that a double or triple 9 in
my last picture?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say triple. Compare that one to the first photo that I posted on 9 Dec.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1431 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you Bill I think triple as well Yontan
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05