Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Georgia P Quarter Double Struck Missing Ear?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know if this is a multi strike or rated hub? What kind of error is this? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3746 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coop, it appears to be a grease issue.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jim0815. You guys are the experts not me but did you see the last 2 pictures? The profile is doubled even has the eyes and hair in both profiles. Please take another look
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's the b in liberty above that is the v in virtue. That one is a flip over or brockage. Reverse image on the obverse. I'll post that one now. I'm still trying to figure out what's with this Georgia quarter

I see why I'm confused about this thread. Your images show two different quarters, Georgia and Pennsylvania. I thought they were clearer images of the same quarter.
(I'm not sure if Coop thinks there might be a clash as well as struck through grease, based on his overlays.)

The images for the Georgia quarter seem to show details that are raised in relief, correct?

Are you thinking the Georgia quarter is struck through a late stage die cap?

Edited by Petespockets55
12/11/2019 06:58 am
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I said to look at the inverted picture I dont believe that the Pennsylvania quarter was posted yet. That Pennsylvania quarter was only an example of what I thought the Georgia quarter could be. I'm not sure what coop thinks either but I sure would like to know after I post more pics.i think he was saying there was no die clash only struck through grease. I'm agreeing on the grease but my question is does the grease void the extra strike?
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like third strike

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41676 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the edge of the devices not showing contour, it looks like this die was altered with die polishing or the fields were not smooth, and some grease was filling some areas on the fields. A VLDS die example does not warrant a premium. True Collectors want great looking coins and better die states. New ones get into die cracks/chips and bad die states. But after searching a lot more coins, then they will realize that they are common. I know, I used to be one like that. I have several three ring binders of coins I thought were interesting and put them in 2X2's to keep them safe. Now I realize I spent 5 cents per coin to save a coin worth face value. I see them to remind me, not to do this again. So I no longer save these, but if they are something I want to save for another time, I'll throw them into coin tubes. Live and learn. Past on you past mistakes you would never do again, to new collectors. Will it stop them? No. But later on they will remember what I said. Keep the best, spend the rest.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the good advice coop. The beauty to me is that most will overlook this coin and I end up with a three strike quarter. The fields are smooth. The coin was beat up in the collar if I'm hearing you correctly. No premium because it's not a 70 I can live with that. Just to clearify what you're saying. Is this a multi strike coin or does it not qualify due to wear?
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As collecting evolves prices go up and down and things that were once garbage are gold. This is no gold but I will always like error coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41676 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Just a single strike. (Proof coins are struck at least twice) What happened is the the dies fields were altered/disturbed from what they used to be. From die polishing, die gouges or just wear and tear on them. They just look read bad when compared to an earlier die state coin.

Note the die state of this coin. It probably struck less than 100 strikes. On the example you have probabyy in the 750K to a million strikes. Which one look nicer? The nice coins keep, the questionable VLDS dies are probably ones that will not bring a premium. I do a lot of examination of coins on PCGS and the prices. The higher the grade of a coin, the more valuable they are.
I was looking at the prices of normal coin is higher grades and doubled dies compared. Some normal coins in the highest grades were worth a lot more. Why? Because fewer of them are struck in the quality.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/35309001
Note the value of this coin. It is a high grade coin. MS-67
Over 5K

Then note this coin:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/35564322
Just one grade lower. MS-66
$25

One grade lower, but a doubled die:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34952502
MS-65 $285

So knowing what to look for can be more profit able, but are harder to find and have them graded. But also study what they look like. Finding some coin in circulation maybe interesting, but finding a great coin is better. (Not at all coins found in circulation are real high dollar coins) Just know what to look for that could be a collectable, takes time to know what is and what is not a premium for a coin. Thus my term, "Save the best, spend the rest."
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that quality determines value. Of course I would like to have this coin in bu condition but as we all know there are errors in pocket change. Which usually means some circulation damage and loss of value. I dont care how much it's worth really. I just want to know what I found so like you said coop to know what to look for. I know what I think it is but what do the experts say. Is this a grease filled multi strike or grease filled damaged coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RW1010 make sure you post a new topic for each coin. I'm lost as to how many coins are in this post. Also, try to keep to only 1 topic for each coin. It's easier to figure out what is going on with the coin and much easier to answer your questions.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05