Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gallienus Antoniniani Lot

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4094 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Publius Licinius Egnatius Gallienus suffered the ill fortune to rule at a time when the empire was severely beset by external enemies as well as internal upheavals. His key failure was that despite two campaigns in the west, he proved unable to dislodge the usurper Postumus from governance there.

I came across this group yesterday. The reverse motifs represent only a portion of the menagerie of creatures both real and mythical that appeared on this emperor's coinage.

There are quite a few variations with respect to these types, so my identifications at this juncture aren't especially precise. Starting at the left of the top row, I have the two depicting antelope/gazelle as RIC 181 A (or F) & 181 K. The one with the doe would appears to be either RIC 176 K or 177 K. Moving down to left of the bottom row, the one with the pegasus seems to correspond most closely to RIC 283. Next to it the one with the centaur I take to be RIC 163 K. Finally, the one with the panther looks to be RIC 574 K.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
12/11/2019 08:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
686 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice group, all in excellent condition for the type
Learn More...
United States
22755 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent group.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4653 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those reverses are great - especially the panther. Great lot.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice group of antoninianii. I especially like the Satyr: I've not seen those before. A very troublesome time in the Empire's history as you say.

Recently I picked up a denarius of his assassin: Claudius II but I've no denarii of Gallienus. I just have the one antoninianius of him.
Edited by Gallienus
12/12/2019 11:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2924 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice group of antoninianii. I especially like the Satyr: I've not seen those before.
I think that's a centaur, not a satyr? I didn't recall there being a centaur in that series either, admittedly.
(I do have a coin featuring a satyr, as it happens, but it's from nearly five centuries before Gallienus.)

Incidentally, while you're around, may I interest you in the Fifth Edition of How Far Back Can We Go? It's waiting for a coin dated 1486, and I believe that you happen to own one.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks january1may, you're correct and I just posted it on that thread. Incidentally I just had it out as I took a group of 12 coins to show someone I met recently who was also "a coin collector". I just returned it back to the SD Box but I really shouldv'e weighed it with my Ohaus balance 1st. I was also the underbidder on an apparently suberb 1486 about 3 or 4 years ago during the NYICS but didn't get it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05