Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help On A State Quarter Dollar

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tomd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 2002 P Louisiana quarter dollar that looks like a President Dollar in material plated.
I am sure something has been posted on this here somewhere, I can't find it.
I am also sure I am not the first to have one.
I have checked all the data I can find and there is no mention of this anywhere.
My brother in law also had one at one time.

So my question is what do I have?
How many were minted?
The value of a coin that is in a grade of a AU - 50 to 58?
And why can I not find any information on this coin?

Any help would be most grateful.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tomd, first up posting a couple overall pics of the coin would be super helpful. It sounds like you are saying that the color of the coins is more of a golden color than a shiny grey, is that right? Normally, this is just toning, but again a pic might help us to confirm. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tomd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2444 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely environmental toning but if we had the weight we could say for sure
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10517 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  02:47 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's toning. Companies did all sorts of whacky things to these quarters, and that includes selling gold-plated sets. You can still buy one, if interested:

https://www.thepatrioticmint.com/st...ed-sets.html

The problem is that the plating job hurts any intrinsic numismatic value of the coin while not delivering any material value. So, people spent them as they are only worth 25 cents.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
12/11/2019 02:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31267 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look gold plated to me. Check the edge.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tomd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First it is not toning, I know that.
Second if you place these three coins side by side, the quarter above, a Dollar President, and a Dollar Sacagawea they look like they are of the same material.
The image does not show the the bright mint luster that it has.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16149 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you are sure it is the same material as the dollar coin we are going to need the weight of the coin to two decimal places. The only way that could happen could be if they punched quarter blanks from dollar strip. Since the dollar strip is thicker than the quarter strip the weight will be higher, about 7.41 grams. With strip thickness tolerance figured in between
7.14 and 7.7 grams. So get us the weight and get back to us. If it checks out we can go to the next step.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The image does not show the the bright mint luster that it has.

I was really hoping there would be a weight this morning. I agree is does look similar to color to a "golden dollar" but that does not necessarily mean it is on a dollar planchet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10517 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An accurate weight will narrow things down.

Edit: since the "golden" dollar is larger than the quarter, this could not have been struck on a dollar planchet given its appearance/alignment. It would have to be as Conder101 described, which is much less likely.

-Lucretius
-Kurdt Kobain
Edited by spruett001
12/11/2019 11:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that exists and known is a mule. It's a quarter obverse and a sac reverse from 2000. The sacred planchet doesn't fit in the quarter collar so what you are displaying can't happen on a sac planchet. They also drastically reduced mintage of sac dollars in 2002, another thing working against it being what you think it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/200...quarter_mule

The muel doesn't have a reeded edge again can't street enough that the sacred planchet doesn't fit in the quarter collar. And the coin shown was struck inside a quarter collar because of the edge being there.

It's toned, discolored, or plated. It absolutely doesn't display anything that you'd want or expect to see if it was a wrong planchet.

For this to happen and look like this they would have to roll out sac stock as if it was quarter stock and punch out a quarter sized planchet then run it through the press. Highly unlikely to happen because they get the planchet already made for the sac dollars from the supplier. They don't roll them out or punch them out in house for sacs.

Send it into ANACS for authentication it's the cheapest way to do it and you'll know 100% and not have it haunt you. I think it's some surface toning on a regular 2002 louisiana quarter from what I know and see in these pictures. It doesn't look anything like I'd expect to see if it was a sac planchet struck in a sac collar with a quarter die pair. It would have a huge rim and no reeding.

And they weren't experimenting with different alloys in 2002. They had settled on the planchet for the sac dollar a couple years earlier. The experimental alloy examples are 1999 or 2000.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
12/13/2019 06:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18968 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of this is just one of the reasons everyone hates those new baby sized dollars.
just carl
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tomd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok,

I have been at work and now on vacation. When I get back to work I will get the weight to 4 decimals.

The Size

It is physically small that the Susan B Anthony

It is physically small that the President Dollar

It is physically small that the Native American dollar

Again No toning it is VERY shiny, sorry if the image does not show this,

It is very detailed so no outside plating of gold.

I know what plating over a coin looks like because I was playing around and plated nickel over a copper penny for a joke.

Yes I work in plating.

So far From what has been answered I will say it is a learning experience for me.

As far as the coin "Mule Coin" it has the correct Obs and Res for that quarter dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1681 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

I'm leaning towards a plated or gold washed coin. Most likely one of these https://coinvalues.com/library/what...arters-worth

If you know that the coin is an off-metal strike, you'll need to send it for certification or it's always going to be questioned. If it turns out to be a real mint error, the grading should be well worth it. I found a 2000-P Sacagawea dollar struck on a quarter planchet that sold for $2760 at Heritage, but it was an NGC MS-66.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10517 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing you failed to mention was the reeding, but I can see it is reeded from the first pic. Toning doesn't mean it can't be "shiny" and being plated doesn't mean there is a noticeable decrease in the sharpness of detail. If you work in plating, then you know that there is a wide range of quality.

In any case, I believe the weight will confirm that this is a normal quarter that has been plated.

-Lucretius
-Kurdt Kobain
Edited by spruett001
12/15/2019 02:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As spruce mentioned, companies sold the entire State Quarter series in gold plating. IT'S PLATED. Don't sell the farm just yet.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05