Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying - Maybe A Medallion?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  2:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tralfaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Found this about 50 years ago in the U.S. literally in a ditch. Ran across it again recently during a move and was curious if anyone has thoughts on what it might be. Maybe a medallion or token of some kind? It's about 10 percent large than a US quarter. It's gold in color and will slightly tarnish slowly over time. There are no markings. Thanks.

Edited by Tralfaz
12/11/2019 2:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14565 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tralfaz, first welcome to CCF. Second, from your pics it looks like there may be some remnant damage from this being held along the edge (such as would be the case with a mounted medallion. Can you please post a couple pics of the edge to confirm? As to value, it should be pretty tough with no identifying marks, but would be at least the melt value of the metal alloy. The question as to if it is bronze or gold is probably best answered at the local coin shop or pawn shop. I see that someone scratched the surface in front of the woman's eye to see if it was plated, so maybe it is gold.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8396 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

Wow, I never thought I'd see one of these again. Nice one, whatever it is.
I have one too and posted about it here.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=35#2697187

Quote:
It's about 10 percent large than a US quarter.

Seems yours is slightly larger than mine and has more detail too. I think they are/were gilt bronze?
Mine is smaller than a US Quarter but larger than a US Nickel.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
12/11/2019 11:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14565 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty cool that we have now had two of them posted. Good input @tng!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tralfaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, how about that. There are at least two of these ladies in the world. TNG, can you share any background on how and where you ended up with your fine lady?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8396 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just liked the art on it and it was listed as "unknown token" on eBay last April 2018. (cheap)
I am baffled too. I've seen things like these made into stickpins and in a bezel as necklaces or charms and maybe encased in buttons but it doesn't look like ours were attached to anything.
Someday we'll find out, just like we found "another". Good luck. If anyone ever figures it out, please let us know.
Thanks!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12041 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05