Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 P Washington Quarter With A Tumor On The Neck

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  6:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AndOr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone! New poster here. I was going through my pocket change when I felt this bump on this 1981 P quarter. Examining it under a loupe, it appears that Washington has a tumor growing out of his neck:

I really don't know much about errors, so I really don't know what it is I'm looking at. It looks like a piece of a planchet was pressed into this coin maybe? I'll try to take better pictures soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4641 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum

It looks like Glue to me.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AndOr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chase! Thanks for the reply. It certainly feels and looks metallic under the loop, and has the same color as the metal, but who knows.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20272 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put it in some acetone and see if it disappears.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14480 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes these are typically dried crazy glue rather than a mint error.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AndOr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bobby & Spence. Luckily my daughter left her nail polish remover behind that contains acetone! I poured some on the anomaly and let it sit. Nope, not glue.

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AndOr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really wish I could get a decent photo! Viewed sidewise, I estimate the lump rises about 1mm high from the plane. It looks like something was scraped across the face and fused there. I don't think the coin was gouged after the coin was pressed, as the metal seems to flow evenly from all the edges.

I just thought this was interesting, I've just gotten into coin collecting as a diversion, and I'm a little enthusiastic I suppose :D

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14480 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enthusiasm is awesome! Despite the glue resisting the acetone, I'm not convinced that it isn't just extra material on the surface of the coin. Can you please post the weight of this coin? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AndOr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now all I have is a kitchen scale, and the weight is 0.2 oz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one else has said this yet, so I guess I will... when it was suggested you use acetone, we were saying pure acetone you can get at your hardware store, NOT nail polish remover! There are lots of impurities in nail polish remover that you don't want on your coin! It isn't the same just because it has acetone in it! You didn't say how long you left it in the nail polish remover, but if it is a big hulk of glue it might require a longer soak (but not in nail polish remover). Even if it is a piece of metal and not glue, I'm not sure it would add any value.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4641 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is highly unlikely to be a mint error, if it is not some sort of glue substance it maybe solder, but we really need a clear close up to tell what it is, we are just playing a guessing game from the images provided.
As mentioned (Pure Acetone was needed not nail polish remover, and it needs to soak in it overnight).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05