Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Civil War Patriotic Token Lincoln And Union 128/289 Mystery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 419Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  6:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I bought the first token from Edelman's in Jenkintown PA from a 10 cent junk box in 1980 and inherited the second from my deceased father in law in 2009. They both show solder or signs of solder being removed from the same exact spot on the reverse.

I just saw an ebay auction of the same token with a removed solder spot from the same area.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1864-Linco...AOSwqSRdMdTP

Any ideas from the experts out there why this token would have the same exact solder spots on three different tokens?

Edited by JayDon62
12/13/2019 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1861 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The solder is not in exactly the same position, though it is central.

I imagine the tokens were soldered to brooch pins so that the wearers could express their support.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Learn More...
United States
17186 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pertinax is probably right, although they could have been turned into buttons instead of brooches too.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3702 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, once owned one of these. I've yet to see one that's still attached to the pin. The reverse die is 289, not 259 in title.

The first CWT I bought, back in the early sixties, boasted an 1864 Lincoln obverse die (127/248). It cost me $12.50, being ten hours of work at then minimum wage, a major purchase for this kid! I then knew nothing about CWT's. The clerk told me that it was a token, a cent substitute. What prompted me to make the purchase was contemplating that Mr. Lincoln lived to see his image on a "cent!"
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input guys! Yes, I agree the solder meant it must have been attached to some kind of wearable item to show support for Lincoln, especially since the front has a portrait of the President.

Thanks to ExoGuy for correcting my typo in the title. It has been changed 128/289.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05