Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 Insane Error Not Sure What To Call It...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  10:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pagoon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hello I am new to numismatics error coins I'm not sure what this is called is it a die clash or just a double strike any info on this would be great ... is it worth anything also. I dont think its a die clash.the reverse is very weak.thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2678 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD, this is a vice job, you can see that the lettering is reversed, someone put 2 or more cents, in a vice, and squeezed the extra impression on the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14581 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this not an error at all but rather manufactured damage by someone trying to fool the less educated. This is why CCF is here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pagoon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i thought so to but it has the same diameter and thickness as any other penny
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pagoon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my first thoughts were correct now...just my luck I never find anything good...some people fall into a puddle and come out with a gold watch... I cant win
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44072 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A vise job for sure.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vice job
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1682 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It the size and thickness of the pressed coin is normal, it could be that someone used a metal tube and stacked the coins before they hammered or "vised" them. The tube would act as a collar and keep the metal from expanding beyond the normal coin's size.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Valued Member
Canada
374 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be discouraged Pagoon, sometimes patience pays off. Especially when it comes to coin hunting, you win some you lose some but if you don't continue to look you will never find anything. This like the others said, is unfortunately just a vise job but you can always hold onto it and keep it as an example so if you find another you will know if it is real or not!

Impression Pressed into the coin (like yours) = Vice Job/Fabricated after mint
Impression Raised OFF of the coin = Possibly a Mint made error (could be real but you should still doubled check on here)

Happy searching!
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the best "vise job" coin posted here in over 3 years...thanks
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05