Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Important Are Graded Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  7:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I'm curious as to what those of you collect. I get a sense based on the posts, but these seem to only be small samples of what you collect. Myself? I like nice circulated coins as intended. Most of mine were bought in the raw, with as much research on them beforehand (lots and lots of books). Although I have bought, and would buy them graded, in the key/semi-key coins or where high numbers of known counterfeits exist. These wind up getting cracked out, keeping the information of course, and put into
Air-Tite ring holders. They present better and take up less space.

Thanks in advance.

Poll Choices
  100% graded exclusively
  Only pre-modern
  Both, reguardless of date
 None

Pillar of the Community
United States
6291 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rather like the presentation style of slabs. I'm building a type set and will buy raw with the intention of slabbing. Plus when a upgrade comes my way slabs help with marketability
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14496 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm what is the difference between choice A and choice C?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12941 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not 100 percent, but 100 percent for the good ones and coins of value
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
United States
942 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased 3 graded coins all were unslabbed within a few minutes. I'm not per say against slabbed, just for what I collect I have no interest now. I may pick up a few coins for a long term investment but for my albums I only get raws.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16317 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect ancients hammered ad milled coins, which make up perhaps 25% of my whole collection by number.
With these sorts of coins grading and slabbing is pretty much irrelevant.

On the other hand, the grading of all coins (ancient hammered milled and machine struck modern), is a major critical factor in determining their value.

IMHO slabbing fees are not justified on any coin that potentially has a value of less than $100.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18951 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd choices of topics. Actually many people today prefer a graded coin for a rather expensive one due to all the counterfeiting. However, many of those same people simply break out the coins for Albums. Your original question was how important are graded coins. I believe you mean exactly that, that the graded system helps identify fakes as well as saying what a coin should be noted as far as a grade.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both.

Up until three years ago I was strictly a Dansco album guy.

But in 2016 I started building a PCGS slabbed Ike set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4122 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect both graded and raw.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2852 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am more or less with @sel_191.

Most of what I actively collect is pre-1700 world coins, and mostly under about $200 per coin. I don't care about re-sale value. So, buying graded coins is almost always a poor value. I think I have 4 coins in slabs.

Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When it comes to the TPG graded coins in my collection , the only thing I really value in is the authenticity/ or buy back guarantee should the coin turn out to be fake.

If I feel comfortable with the price and/or the grade I will buy the coin. A holder doesn't make or break a deal for me, now when it comes to coins I'm buying to resale that would need to be graded to get the best price it would probably play into weather or not a deal is made.

Also I feel the poll is lacking a fiew options.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2920 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In principle, I don't have any problem with buying a slabbed coin if one comes up, but with my budget it's not exactly a common situation. I think I have... one or two slabbed coins at the moment?

I agree that slabs are probably more convenient for rarer and/or more expensive coins due to counterfeiting, but, again, with my budget this is almost never a significant consideration, and even when it is, the coin in question is almost always pre-modern and a slab would not help.
In other words, basically what @sel_69l and @tdziemia said.

(For what it's worth, I intend to try my best to fill my 7070 without opening any slabs. This might be... trickier once I get to the larger silver.)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05