Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sealed 2009 Unc. Mint Set Philadelphia Pack Zachary Taylor Dol. Edge Split

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,199Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47790 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is PSD. Note the edge area is showing a wave on each side of the damaged areas. If it was in cello, it could be damaged from the sealer. In a holder, then it was damaged after the strike before it went into the container. Basically the coin is damaged. Not a premium for it if removed from the holder. Still in the holder, it would still be questionable if it still had a premium. Not worth grading. The coin would have to be worth $100-200 dollars before considering grading. This is not a premium example in that range.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Face33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So packing process seems a bit of a stretch. I have been looking threw 2009 mint sets I bought in a large quantity for the past week in my spare time, I just found this William Henry Harrison dollar with what looked to be the same error/damage but to a lesser degree. Before reading the last reply I decided to open the lesser of the 2.

Photos can be found at this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!

Best Regards,

FACE
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47790 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with a problem coin is that has issues. Will the next buyer consider it? Best to have something definite, and in nice condition. They are an easier sell.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5359 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth grading. Rule of thumb: if the item is worth $200 or more then it would be ideal to get it graded.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Face33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the input Gentleman. Much appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17153 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2019  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like a rim fin that has partially broken away.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a large attached rim burr to me. Questions are though. Is it from this coin or another coin?
Is the burr struck into the coin by the collar die, or is it just in the mint set capsule and it will come off if removed?

I think it would make a world of difference whether it is an attached burr, struck in debris, or just debris that got packed into the blister in assembly.

I guess it looks attached, but not sure if it was rim finning maybe that became a burr after the strike and banging around after and packaging has it looking the way it does, when if removed from the coin it would appear fine otherwise.

Hard to really tell from the pictures exactly what I'm seeing.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Face33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take some better ones with an actual microscope, stand by
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Face33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry it took so long...

I took it out of the set for better photos.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1969 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, looking at the newer images it looks like a rimmed fin that may have been misaligned and has partially dislodged.
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/ter...logy-list-f/

Is the obverse misaligned in relation to the reverse?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
03/31/2020 9:05 pm
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Face33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
again sorry for the late reply, no, I'm not seeing any misalignment. It seems to have occurred during the edge lettering strike, the strike being harder than it ought to have been or possibly 2x and when the die pulled away, having cut into the laminate, began pulling a pice of laminate off with it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05