Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Lincoln Cent Struck On Dime Planchet

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 3,477Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gypsy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How cool. Thanks for posting your coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard of the hollow 'penny' where a Zincoln is put into acid to dissolve the zinc and then a dime inserted into the hollow cent. Since the copper plate is real thin, it can be rolled and the image of the dime begins to show through. Are we sure that this isn't what we are looking at here? My guess: would weigh a bit more than a normal dime but within mint tolerances.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3906 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find! Slabbing is worth it IMO.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580
1970-S 1C DDO FS-103
http://goccf.com/t/372456

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sending it off for slabbing! will post another picture when it returns.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well being new to this grading/ slabbing thing..I may have missed a step. Sending this back for conservation and encapsulation. They are very friendly and helpful there at NGC.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1310 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it makes sense for them to do it that way, as long as they will encapsulate it once it is conserved.

Just curious what conservation for something like this may run, if you don't mind me asking?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2837 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is it worth the extra money now, that you have confirmed what you have? Are you planning to sell it? Conservation and a hard slab, will just be cutting into your profits. Others can tell you better, once we know what your plans are for the coin..
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The conservation fee is only 11 bucks plus the shipping and handling fee. Could have saved a step if I knew while they had it already. Right now, my plan is to hang on to it. Not really into this for profit and don't mind spending a few extra bucks to protect a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1310 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Right now, my plan is to hang on to it. Not really into this for profit and don't mind spending a few extra bucks to protect a nice coin.

I agree in a lot of ways. It will eventually get more costly to encapsulate and meanwhile the coin has more chances for issues to happen and diminish the value. I wouldn't wait too long to conserve it because it may be harder to accomplish, the longer it is untreated.
Congrats again.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this back from NGC today. MS 64 is good?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33629 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos are too blurry. Can you see an improvement after conservation? Do you know what the current retail value is? How much are you into the coin,total? Where did you find the coin?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the blurry pictures. I can definitely see improvement in the appearance after conservation. I found this coin in circulation many years ago and just recently renewed my interest in collecting. Best I can tell by the Red Book, the value says 350 X (3 to 5). I decided to send it off to basically protect the coin and have just a little over $100 into this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44519 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was about the time when the mint employee was striking funny money. But they finally caught him.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AB32424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am thinking I have a couple really nice Morgans that may benefit from conservation as well.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 3,477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05