Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Series 2017 A - Anyone Have Any Info?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10300 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  11:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read tonight that the BEP announced series 2017A notes (some time ago, actually) and that 2017A is meant to signify a minor change in the production process.

Anyone know what that minor change is?
Edited by CelticKnot
12/28/2019 11:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Until a 2017-A $20 shows up in circulation we will probably never know what the minor change happens to be.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10300 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the $20 notes are the first of the 2017A printed (April '19), according to uspapermoney.info, there are $1, $2, $5, $10, $20 & $100 notes in the 2017A series so far. It may be a while before we see the $1 notes as they were only printed last month (Nov '19).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got some 2017A $2 notes and I've compared them to some 2013 $2 notes...and they feel, look and smell identical. These were printed in August.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10300 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^ Just ordered a couple of those myself tonight.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VictoryHighway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least for the $5 notes, the Series 2017-A is the first printing in the 50-subject sheet format.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10300 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just received G03369197A and 198A in the mail. Guessing we used the same source, Steve.
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Normal reason for the A,B,C series is the Secretary of the Treasury stays the same, but the Treasurer changes.

However, signatures of the 2017A series are Carranza-Mnuchin same as series 2017.

It is not currently clear why this series exists or how it is different from Series 2017. We may hope the BEP will provide an explanation eventually.-webmaster@uspapermoney.info

Jovita Carranza (born June 29, 1949) was the 44th Treasurer of the United States in office from June 19, 2017 - January 15, 2020. Her successor has not been determined.

However, production of the $20 2017A series began in April-May 2019.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We may hope the BEP will provide an explanation eventually

Well, I asked the BEP's Historical Resource Center about the change from series 2017 to 2017A. So, far I've only received the following non-committal response
Quote:
Series changes entail more than just signature or design changes. When possible and practical, the BEP makes other needed modifications to banknotes, which may include changes to materials or processes (e.g. change of a supplier or subject format). Availability of new materials, the manufacturing of plates with new signatures, production and delivery schedules, and management of inventory to minimize waste of any materials being replaced can also effect signature change timing.

We'll see if I get anything else in response to my follow-up inquiry.

And here's the response to my follow-up inquiry

Quote:
The information you have requested is proprietary information and, consequently, cannot be disclosed.

Guess I'll have to try the FOIA route.
Edited by BadDog
02/25/2020 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @BadDog...looks like they lawyered-up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...looks like they lawyered-up.

Maybe, or could just be that the historians didn't feel comfortable giving out info on the current series. We'll see if I get anything different from the FOIA request
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On another forum it was suggested that the change is in the composition of the paper.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05