Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 P New Jersey Quarter Doubling On Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 766Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hokuto7291 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had this quarter set aside just for my USB microscope. I will be including a picture of the same coin from NGC for reference. The soldiers on my coin all have extra metal either surrounding them, or completely obscuring their faces. NEW JERSEY is also doubled, at least I think, there are clear outlines of the letters within the letters. Another thing of note is on the obverse near the neck of Washington, there seems to be two extra pieces of metal stamped in.
Help with this coin would be appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it looks impressive, I feel it is Die Deterioration. Note all the thicker areas are flowing towards the rim. I've seen this before on another coin:

CoopHome : DDD Deterioration wear
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hokuto7291 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop, I'll never find anything. What about the raised metal on the neck? No way that's Die Deterioration.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the left side of the boat? That is the movement of the die metal towards the closest rim flowing to the left. Same thing going on with the devices on the right side, flowing to that rim as well. EPU flowing towards the rim also. Just how the dies wear. The metal movement starts in the center and pushed outwards towards the rims.about a million times with not lubing of the dies. It eventually wears the die out. When they retire the dies some coin look like this on the ATB Quarters:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Hokuto7291. You have a nice coin with seemingly a combination of thickening of letters, MD, and DDD.

With my newbie eyes, I can see thickening of the letters of New Jersey, EPU, which you indicated. There's a nice split serif of the 2nd R of Crossroads. The rowing pole of the first sailor/soldier seemed doubled.

That's how I look at your coin. Let us wait for the experts' view on your coin.

You have nice pix. What kind of USB microscope are you using? Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Coop.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hokuto7291 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No coop, on the obverse of the coin, my last picture has two bits of metal below Washington's profile.
sosicoin, I use a brand called Plugable, got it for $40 on Amazon
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hokuto7291 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone know what that extra metal is on my last picture?
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Hokuto7291.

Thanks for sharing the name of your USB microscope.

Sometimes, it can be frustrating trying to find something in a coin and it is not there. Just relax and enjoy the hobby, coins will come your way. Patience will pay off. Just keep on learning and posting from your coin hunting. One thing you are getting good at is capturing parts of your coin needing assistance from the experts.

Quote:
two bits of metal below Washington's profile

In my newbie opinion, the metals are die breaks/die chips.

Keep on searching...
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 766Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05