Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading - Yes Or No?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 938Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  6:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How many of you bother getting your coins graded? All of them, some of them (if so, which ones?). I'm starting to think grading is a bit of a racket.... many people out there buying the holder and not really looking at the coin itself....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34306 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To justify all grading costs,a coin needs a retail value after slabbing of $150 to $200.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2002 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never gotten a coin graded. I've purchased a few graded coins that I paid less than what they cost to get graded. Lately people will grade anything from badly dinged nickels to a blank planchet. When the grading companies start grading the boxes that the coins in is when you know that it's a racket ;)
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no racket about it when it comes to the legit companies.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13633 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never sent a coin in for grading and I probably never will . I agree that a lot of hobbyists buy the slab, not the coin . Many times when viewing a coin that is graded by TPG I don't agree with their grade . Sorry but I'll grade my own coins , thank you as I have in the past .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, you only grade if you are going to re-sell, and are confident you will recoup more than the investment in grading.

If you can answer "yes" and "yes" to those two propositions, then I agree with @baseball that there is no racket ... It's just a service business, and you need to decide if you value that service enough to pay for it.

Like @hfj and @T-BOP, I have never gotten a coin graded, and I have only bought a handful, becaase they were the best value when I went looking for that particular coin. If I ever decided to sell my collection, I might get a half dozen or dozen coins graded. I doubt it will happen.

And ... people buying the holder rather than the coin can be a GOOD reason to get a coin graded. That's a business decision, NOT a hobbyist's decision.
Edited by tdziemia
01/05/2020 8:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had anything graded, but have owned a few and set them free.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this - I'm still learning here - I've sent some stuff for grading just to see if my own grades make any sense. These sound like orderly ideas - grade for resale if it's worth it but otherwise don't bother.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never gotten any coins slabbed -- I like to buy them already graded. I have a few coins purchased before grading was common, and some of these should probably be sent in, just to make sure they are real.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never sent a coin to be graded. Only reason I ever would is to have it checked for authenticity. Then take it out of the slab to be put in an Album.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8890 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've collected for well over 50 years and never sent a coin to be graded. I'm a collector not a seller. I have bought a couple slabbed coins but prefer them raw so that I can place in the proper spot in my albums. I get the most enjoyment seeing them all together on a page rather than individual plastic caskets. I feel comfortable with my grading skills to have no need for it.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although more of a side benefit, I like the encapsulation/protection that TPG slabs provide. I have some coins that I never want to sell but want protected for future generation. And if it comes with a grade, and makes it easier for my wife or daughter to sell someday. After I'm gone, that's nice too.

My wife loves older German and Egyptian coins. So I've had some of the nicest ones I've found graded and encapsulated. I like modern commemorative dollars. And have graded and encapsulated some of my favorites. Civil War, Ben Franklin, Prisoner of War Museum. We took a family trip to the Prisoner of War Museum in Andersonville, GA. There was a sign out front describing how the museum was paid for with proceeds from the sale of that dollar coin. So the coin itself makes a nice souvenir. I want it protected, but the OMP takes up too much room in the safe. But a slabbed version doesn't.

Also, because I don't care about resale on these coins, I don't feel forced to use either of the big two. ANACS runs a lot of sales. Right now it's $10 for any silver dollar (minimum 10). I just emailed them this morning. That does include modern commemoratives. I bought four more at auctions over the weekend, so I will probably send in a batch. Plus I love the angled tops on the new ANACS holders. Makes it easy to look down at a box of 20 and find the one I want. And with ANACS I don't have to pay $150 each year for a membership.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still learning here - I've sent some stuff for grading just to see if my own grades make any sense.

It can be a great learning experience which have value beyond the results.

Quote:
I like the encapsulation/protection that TPG slabs provide. I have some coins that I never want to sell but want protected for future generation. And if it comes with a grade, and makes it easier for my wife or daughter to sell someday. After I'm gone, that's nice too.

This too. By far the best way to actually protect coins and superior to albums and 2x2s etc.

Quote:
And with ANACS I don't have to pay $150 each year for a membership.

The membership fee thing is There really is no actual fee for PCGS or NGC. PCGS the 8 voucher membership saves significant money if used in the right way and NCG you get even credit for the $150. They're obviously more expensive to use than ANACS but if anyone is actually paying a fee they can't recover for the TPGs they are joining the wrong tiers
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another interesting view.

"The membership fee thing is There really is no actual fee for PCGS or NGC. PCGS the 8 voucher membership saves significant money if used in the right way and NCG you get even credit for the $150. They're obviously more expensive to use than ANACS but if anyone is actually paying a fee they can't recover for the TPGs they are joining the wrong tiers"

This resonates with a view from another collector who I talked to on another forum, namely "know your TPGs". The point of this disagreement is, I would say, that if you're going to get coins graded you need to know what you're getting from the various sources. But the flip side is that many collectors are perfectly happy just doing their thing without the assessment and confirmation from some outside expert.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out which of those I am.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TPGs played and continue to play a large role in shaping our hobby.

Learning to grade and collecting what you like helps with "buy the coin, not the holder.

Sometimes authentication and/or encapsulation are important, sometimes they are not.

PCGS brings more premiums to a sale, whether you are a buyer or seller.

Cherry picks and good coins can be found raw as well as in all the different TPG slabs.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2396 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've sent some stuff for grading just to see if my own grades make any sense.

post pictures here and you will end up with the same education... only here it's FREE
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 938Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05