Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why This Coin Is A 1922/1 Overdate Threepence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
3 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  12:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Itsnotjeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First up, I'm new here so take it easy on me.

I am by no means any type of professional. I'm more of a hack who has inherited his grandfathers (Raymond Moffatt of Melbourne) collection of mostly australian decimal, pre decimal and pre pre decimal coins, notes, error coins, commemorative, tokens etc.

I first began having a look through the collection around 4 years ago and spent a lot of time researching and looking into his collection and appreciating the time and effort (and obviously money) he must have spent pursuing numismatics.

I put it all aside until about a month ago when I decided to dig them out and see what I could find.

Again this little fella piqued my interest and again it looked under certain light conditions that there was what appeared to be a one under the second 2 in the date. What I have done is played around with the imagery from the photos I took on my computer. Things I am basing my theory on is the angle of bottom of the two in relation to where it kicks up to the serif
___/

What I have found is that when both twos have been aligned across a horizontal plane- using the bottom of the numeral as a datum; the first two in the date has more of an acute angle- the second being greater. I dont have my laptop I cant remember the exact angles at the moment. Every other 22 I have seen has the same angles on both 2's

The second 2 also sits at a lower point in the array than in the other 1922 3d coins I have studied.

I have a few more points, none of which I want to talk about in case this has all been overly wishful thinking.

But I will add and what is probably the most convincing point I can make right now without showing more pics. As I originally read somewhere online (wish I could remember to use as a reference)- it was said that only the overdate coins have the marking just in front of the kangaroos pouch. To which as I can show, this coin also has.

Its extremely difficult to capture with a camera on a phone and a magnifying glass, and then made harder to share here with good resolution.

Who wants to Fight me!

I cant figure out how to upload images to this site easily and gave up trying. So here is the link

3 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Itsnotjeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright. So cant link to Not sure why how that could be an issue

I give in. Wont be posting photos.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20336 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure why how that could be an issue

The error message you received 5 times explained it clearly so I'm not sure why you're not sure.
3 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Itsnotjeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason for it being "5 times" as you so graciously put it- that not only would it not let me post the link to the image hosting site, it wouldnt even let me post with the name of that site and I was having trouble working out what I had to delete to get it to post.

3 things. The first being that I have made several attempts already to post photos. I have reshot the coins in about as low a resolution as possible, put it through an app and saved the it as a jpeg file and then used the "image optimizer"- all that was left was about #8533; of a coin.

Second- I appreciate the help you have provided. But judging from the fact that this site cant host any sort of half decent photo- given that coins and notes are all about details-- you would think that using a site such as I M G U R that hosts for nothing with and I can promise there is 100x less chance of getting "malware or viruses" than possible from this site - and also being family friendly... That was my point about not understanding the issue. That site was primarily an image hosting site for Reddit. Last I checked they were above board.

Judging from the archaic forum format here, there leaves a lot to be desired.

And my last point is that I have a lot of very unique and interesting coins that I would have liked to have shared with the community but seeing as how the effort I have spent already has lead to nothing but frustration- I have no desire to waste any more of my time trying.

I hope you have a great day mate and keep up the good work doing whatever it is you do here.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Judging from the archaic forum format here, there leaves a lot to be desired.

Once you come down off your pedestal you might realize that 10 of thousands of people figured out how to upload photos and so the problem might not be with the site?

As far as what Bobby does here... well let's just say that if it wasn't for him that you (and thousands & thousands of others) would not have the privilege to be a part of this community.

Maybe I am taking your second post wrong but it comes across very condescending (which will not get you very far here),

If it is simply frustration then take a deep breath or 2 and try again.... or not.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20336 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But judging from the fact that this site cant host any sort of half decent photo-

Under half the limit, not enough detail for ya?

Quote:
you would think that using a site such as I M G U R that hosts for nothing with and I can promise there is 100x less chance of getting "malware or viruses" than possible from this site - and also being family friendly...

And you would be ohhhh soooo wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3163 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, great as CCF is, it is evidently not for everyone.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20336 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is, and it is a very common problem, people that don't understand why we do what we do automatically assume we are wrong for doing it.

Quote:
But judging from the fact that this site cant host any sort of half decent photo- given that coins and notes are all about details-- you would think that using a site such as I M G U R that hosts for nothing with and I can promise there is 100x less chance of getting "malware or viruses" than possible from this site - and also being family friendly... That was my point about not understanding the issue. That site was primarily an image hosting site for Reddit. Last I checked they were above board.

Ignorance, plain and simple. We don't allow either one linked here. There are lots of poorn subreddits. There's lots of poorn on imgur including the illegal kind. But hey, whadoo I know, I'm just some moron that's been running forums for 15 years that doesn't have a clue.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
624 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...ok, my turn in defending "Coin Community Family" web page image posting.

How is this one? No problem in posting this "overdate" coin on the CCF website. The great details made for a nice discussion on the post at http://goccf.com/t/141611#1275265

Squire

Edited by Squire Wilson
01/18/2020 02:09 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05