Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,106 / Views: 167,035Next Topic
Page: of 408
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
591 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely range of 1660s there, @jgenn!

Orange 1660, 1/12 écu, William of Orange.

In 1660 William of Orange was just 10 years old. He made a remarkable career, ending up as king William III of England, Scotland and Ireland in 1689.

The principality of Orange was entirely surrounded by France and the papal state Comtat Venaissin. Despite a strained relationship with France, the principality gladly minted coins that were look-alikes of those of its mighty neighbor - to the benefit of the international trade, no doubt. This 1/12 écu is almost a direct copy of the French denomination, although with the portrait of the equally young Louis XIV replaced with that of William. The reverse even displays the coat of arms of France, not the one of Orange!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2244 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jgenn, yes definitely 1660 is your year. You really cover the spectrum there and I love the Spanish piece of eight coin, milled ones before 1732 are pretty hard to get (I saw one from 1590 on a book years ago).

It's good to see those coins together and see how well made and thought out coins were back then. No generic factory made stuff like now back then!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4399 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jgenn, that's an amazing group for 1660!
Probably everyone else here knows this, but I could not figure out the first one .

And @erafjel, I was not aware that Orange existed as an independent principality into the 18th century. The history sounds a bit like that of Lorraine, with a French incursion in the 1670s, and eventually incorporation into the French kingdom in the next century.

For 1660, I have more Poland, a 6 groschen coin minted in Krakow. (Then a rough patch for me until 1655)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
591 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia: About Orange, yes, although it was a tiny province in comparison to Lorraine it caused Louis XIV some headache, maybe mostly because it was a refuge for French protestants, and also I guess because of William of Orange being the leader of the Dutch republic as well, in the Franco-Dutch war (a bit later).

France 1660, 1/12 écu, Louis XIV, Limoges (I).

Here is then the original 1/12 écu (we have seen it here before), extensively copied by French feudal states and Italian city states due to its popularity as a trade coin in the Levant (despite its small size, it weighs only 2.3 g). The Italians called it luigino, "Little Louis," in some form of honor to its origin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1660 -- Electorate of Saxony-Albertine, 3 pfennnig:

Learn More...
United States
18689 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably everyone else here knows this, but I could not figure out the first one

Münster Klippe with more information about the reason for the siege here:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces155458.html

For today, I have another Polish Solidus:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18689 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2 Albus from the German Archbishopric of Cologne dated AD 1659:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1659 -- Kingdom of France, 1/12 ecu:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2927 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1658 Hungary Thaler

Learn More...
United States
18689 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great eye candy to start off the thread today @keith!

Here is a 3 Kreutzer from Austria dated AD 1658:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4399 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great eye candy

and noticed we are (finally) out of Leopold's reign now.

I have a homely 1658 solidus/schilling minted in Gdansk, Poland:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1658 -- Dominion of Swedish Livonia / Riga, 1 solidus:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1658 -- Duchy of Saxe-Weimar, 3 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2244 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, is that really yours - those coins are incredibly rare, yet also very beautiful.

By that stage Oliver Cromwell was king in all but name. I mean he is wearing an imperial wreath, the head gear of choice for all 17th century absolute rulers and emperors besides a crown and a flowing wig!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Page: of 408 Previous TopicReplies: 6,106 / Views: 167,035Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05