Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1486 C. E. ( A. H. 891 ) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,522 / Views: 230,188Next Topic
Page: of 435
Learn More...
United States
20895 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz, despite the slightly different sizes of your pics. ;)

Here is a 3 Groszy from the German Duchy of Prussia dated 1539 AD. Looks like Albert has his COVID beard.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember seeing you post that one before ... That really is an unusual and striking rendering of the beard (note that by my 1540 coin, there was no curly stuff).
Not sure if @princetane is still checking in, but mid-1500s appear to have been the era of fairly long beards. We saw this on Sigismund II of Poland in 1560s, and Albrecht has a long one already in the 1530s.
Sigismund I of Poland is shown as cleanshaven on all his coins, the latest portrait being 1540. However, there is a painting of him dating to 1546 with a squared-off beard like Albrecht's.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3025 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I am lurking, the 1530s was the era of the beard. Looking at Henry VIII and people such as Jacques Cartier.

Its a transistion between the long hair and beret look of the 1520s and the full on curly hair and beard look of the 1540s and 1550s (Somerset, Philip II, and the first real lace collars).

As we head back, the more Renaissance hippy hair comes through, now in '39 its still fairly short and restricted to the head.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
817 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coat of arms on that 1539 Elbing coin of yours, @tdziemia, with two crosses - wonder how come? One was not enough to show the devotion of the Elbingers?

Actually, the coat of arms on the 1540 Spanish Netherlands coin is even more interesting: At first glance a mishmash of 16 smaller arms, but looking more carefully, the top left quadruple is the same as the lower right quadruple, and the top right and lower left quadruples are also the same. So a double doubling, in fact . (Not to mention the doubling of the castle and lion in the top left/lower right quadruples themselves.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As we head back, the more Renaissance hippy hair comes through

@princetaine, I love that "pageboy" look on kings I have a few examples from the 1530s coming up.
And indeed as you say, we can chart the popularity of the beard with Henry VIII's coinage. I think he starts beardless?

Quote:
Interesting coat of arms on that 1539 Elbing coin..., with two crosses - wonder how come?

I don't know why there are two @erafjel.
However, both Gdansk and nearby Elbing use this stacked double cross in their arms. In the case of Elbing, the lower one is incuse on a checkered background. For both cities, the shape of the crosses is derived from their having been fiefs of the Teutonic knights (who used this type of cross, though not on their coins) in the 14th and 15th centuries, coming under Polish control only in the second half of the 1400s, but with quite a bit of autonomy (including the right to coin).

Edited by tdziemia
05/16/2021 4:58 pm
Learn More...
United States
20895 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Hungarian Denar, but this one is dated 1538 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1538 Poland groschen Gdansk mint. Not sure what happened to this coin, but I suspect some kind of harsh cleaning. Many of the underlying details are pretty sharp, but the surface is terrible.

Edited by tdziemia
05/17/2021 12:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1537 Duchy of Lorraine Teston. The engraver has an interesting way with letters like H (easily cofused with M) and R (looking much like numeral 4).

Edited by tdziemia
05/18/2021 08:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3549 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1537 Hungarian Denar

Learn More...
United States
20895 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @keith12m, this is the Denar decade for me too:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess those last two posts make a nice tuppence
1537 is a good year in my collection, so I will add this Annengroschen from the city of Brunswick / Braunschweig:

Edited by tdziemia
05/18/2021 8:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1536 Poland another 3 groschen (trojak) from the Elbing mint

Learn More...
United States
20895 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz. I've got another Denar for today--one of three dated 1536 AD that I picked up when I bought up someone's collection of these things about 20(!) years ago.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2453 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't able to access my reply to forum yesterday.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5069 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1535 Poland 1 groschen/grosz Elbing mint

Like @spence's 1530s Hungary denars, this is one of the few early Poland coins that's been in my collection over 20 years (Jean Elsen Auction 57, March 1999).

Edited by tdziemia
05/20/2021 08:39 am
Page: of 435 Previous TopicReplies: 6,522 / Views: 230,188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05