Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 Morgan For Grading Before I Ship Her Off To PCGS

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hoping this will get a DMPL so fingers crossed. Have fun with this one guys, I'll update when it comes back from PCGS. (Has some doubling. Still working on which VAM it is.)

Pillar of the Community
United States
6692 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either 63 PL or DMPL surfaces are impossible to evaluate
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it has a great shot. Also looks to be 7/8 Tail Feathers so may want to get the attribution since the price difference is pronounced from the 7TF.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46179 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say 64 PL.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the hits under the eye will hold this coin to MS-63
Pillar of the Community
United States
9192 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be huge if it came back DMPL. There are 13 PL examples in the registry for this (7 over 5 )VAM and zero DMPL.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent her off, attribute fee included. Fingers crossed
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
7/8TF VAM-38 7/5. Figured it out with the assistance of dave700x.
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it might push MS64 but the cheek scratches might drop it a tad.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8383 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 78 is known for stronger strikes. the eagle breast is a little weak but will not affect anything. the fields look deep but without newsprint its hard to say if PL or DMPL. my guess is that it has a good shot at DMPL. MS63+ and a 64 is not out of the question. in any case she's a nice piece
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yowza! What a beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8441 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very scarce VAM. PL vs DMPL is difficult from pics due to not being able to gauge the depth of the reflection. Looks 63.
Reverse possibly some evidence of an old cleaning but may just be a trick of the eye.

No matter what, it's a really great coin and I am very much looking forward to a reveal.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received the grade and it sadly got detailed for altered surfaces. Might send it off to anacs for a second opinion. So frustrating
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46179 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear this. Don't throw good money after bad by submitting to ANACS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder, was this because of the obverse, B and U?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8441 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a very desirable coin even with a details grade.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05