Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Various Pennies ... Valuable? Worthless?!?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! #128075;

Still really new to the collecting community, I would love some insight on what kind of errors these are (if any... I've been looking through pennies for a few hours and am starting to see things methinks

I got a large jug of pennies and some other random coins and going through it for the New Years looking for cool ones and hopefully will find a valuable one! Even if it is the 'penny in a haystack' sort of deal, I know I won't find any if I don't at least look!
So here I am, I've done some research but couldn't really decipher which errors these are or if they're anything other than just some cool looking coins. Any help in clarification is really appreciated!

I'll be adding a few more at a later date too as the hunt continues!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bamagama, it is best to limit one coin in each posting. Welcome back!

The first coin you showed us, the 1989-D, seems to have some sort of debris or bump between the date and the D mintmark (D for Denver) which could be a "die Chip" OR it could be a bubble forming under the surface called "zinc rot". It's hard to tell, but since you have many other smaller bubbles around the date and other areas, most likely this is a sign of bad zinc rot. This condition is a defect of the zinc core under the copper plating on the surface. Unfortunately, this condition ruins any value this coin might have.

Your last two coins, the 1969-S and the 1970-S look to be in pretty good condition! I live in Ohio, and in general we don't see many "S" mint marked coins (S for San Francisco) out this way. Yours appear to be in very good condition!

Again, welcome, and don't be shy of asking any specific questions you might have. Remember, one coin per thread, and try to include photos of both sides of your coin and a close-up if you can of question areas. We are here to help!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14476 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed on limiting the number of coins to one per thread--that helps us when we are using the search functionality of CCF. For your second '89-D, I see split plating revealing the underlying zinc core.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43832 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much extra value here, unfortunately.

to the CCF!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops! Apologies and thank you for the info! The hunt continues :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05