Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Penny With Strange Color ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,271Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  02:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RustyDOG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I found this penny with this strange color. What cause this coloring ?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35541 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One that comes to mind is improper cleaning with soap and too hot water.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The environment it was in. Coins can tone any number of colors depending on chemicals, moisture, temperature. Don't read too much into a coin because the color looks a little different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of these "strange"color postings are best explained as "environmental damage"
Some can be attributed to being buried outside for a bit, some can be attributed to sitting on the ground for a bit, some can be attrbuted to being in a carwashort drain for a bit, or a fountain that chlorinated, or a pool, or washed with detergent in a washing machine, or stored in a container with a high sulfur content, or in a car paint booth operators pocket, or in a cement workers pocket.
Literally hundreds of chemicals a coin can come in contact with and change color, even a cent sitting in a urinal bowl and they bleach it to clean it and don't notice the cent there and get it out.
There's also high temperature and low temperature changes and humidity as also factor as well as a layer of dust and whatever contaminant makes up that dust and sunlight.

If you want take some common cents and run some experiments simulate a few environment conditions and see the results. Pinkish cents are usually soda like cola or toilet bowl cleaner that does it and makes them a dull pink color.

Unless you have a means of proving the metal composition is wrong then it's going to be an after minting environmental cause and either toning or corrosion, or a combination of the two.
In some instances it can be electroplating, also not an error but after minting damage.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1591 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In agree--toning, resulting from environmental exposure. Personally, I like it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19584 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many possibilities on how that happened.
1. Was in a pocket of a person that got electricuted in prison.
2. Was in a place where high humidity got to it
3. Someone heated it to see what it looks like hot.
4. And many other possibilities.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50486 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As often mentioned, copper can take on many colors under different environmental conditions.

to the CCF!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RustyDOG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you I really like the color so I will keep it
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16583 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just normal toning quite common on copper coins.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Rainbow" toning is a hot commodity right now. With lots of unscrupulous people trying too fake it on coins. Yours looks real, and would add a little value to the right collector. But if you like it, keep it. I would suggest putting it in a 2x2 flip to protect it. I could continue to tone if left exposed to the environment, and may eventually end up brown.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RustyDOG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Lancek
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,271Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05