Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1994 P Quarter...strikethru With A Hologram On Both Sides

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,753Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  11:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was going through quarters that I haven't touched I was about a year and picked this one up and rolled my eyes. I haven't tried to remove one or touch either one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3275 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like glitter and bag marks...soak it in acetone, glitter should slide off...IMO no added value
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been soaking since noon
Learn More...
United States
16355 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mc, that is odd--the US mint isn't putting holograms on quarters so it must have happened after these coins left the mint.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but weird things happen. I noticed the one on the reverse is raised right where that die crack flows. Not sure if thats good or bad?
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can actually see every detail matches up. The question is would it look like that if pressed and glued
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's raised around the edges like appears here that would take alot of force I imagine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What ever it is it did not leave the mint this way.It's a Damaged coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4147 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a little amazed at this. In pic 1 it shows the glitter touching the forehead, in pic number 3 (same coin) the glitter is moved away from the forehead.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just used different lighting. Why are you so confident it didn't leave the mint that way, what makes it different than other struck through items that left the mint. Not that you're wrong, just curious what tells you that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4147 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF the US MINT were to mint a holographic coin it would be big news. They have yet to release a holographic coin to my knowledge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make as many as you would like or any size with this hexagon punch and die set
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-Toolz-B...AOSwsbhdrFfD
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael C to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking more sloppy worker or working conditions at the mint type of scenario. I think we've done a commemorative coin with a hologram but nowhere near 94. You would think if someone was trying to get away with a scam they'd pick something more believable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think we've done a commemorative coin with a hologram

I would like to see a coin that was struck at the US mint with the same size Hexagram punch for commemorative purpose,business strike or proof
I know you don't want to believe it was done after it left the mint but it was. It's more of a curiosity than anything else

Quote:
You would think if someone was trying to get away with a scam they'd pick something more believable.

It was someone playing around goofing off in their garage. People do strange things to coins
Edited by jasper62
01/13/2020 12:30 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westman12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same quarter but it's a 1990 and it's covered both back and front with these hexagon shaped hologram looking things. The are flush with the coin and seem to be embedded into the coin.

Edited by Westman12
05/04/2020 7:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1990 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2020  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consume...plated-coins

Does the United States Mint produce or sell colorized coins?

To date, the United States Mint has not produced or sold colorized or gold- or silver-plated coins. The United States Mint has never produced or sold colorized coins or coins that feature a holographic or superimposed image.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,753Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05