Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales Republic Mexico Durango Do 1845 Rm Paris Eagle Unlisted Overdat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 373Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  7:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Augustus49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interesting history here. The Durango mint changed back to a Mexican-style Eagle in 1842, in part I suspect, because they had beaten to death their 1831-dated French-made hubs featuring the beautiful "Paris" Eagle. (They had purchased those years before.) For years then, they had been dealing with effacing of and re-punching of their hubs and dies, respectively, to keep coinage current with the date and the mint assayer.

In 1845,for some reason, they produced a few coins with an old Paris die pair. Dunigan and Parker list the 1845/31 RM overdate with the Paris Eagle, but no others. The coin pictured is an 1845 RM with the 4 over another 4 with both over the 3. There is no evidence of a 1 under the 5, so effacement of the 1 had been total for this coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5154 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting
Pillar of the Community
United States
4947 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Augustus49 Your coin is in all likelihood a new sub-variety. That is not a rare occurrence for coinage of the First Republic.

However, from what I have learned and observed, Mike Dunigan intentionally did not list all overdates. In particular the instances involving a simple repunched digit - 3/3 2/2 1/1 etc. were omitted far more often than they were included. To do otherwise would result in a very much larger book, and many (or most) of the sub-varieties would not add value to most coins.

In the case of these older issues involving hubs, there are also numerous overdates caused by the use of the hubs for more than one year as you allude to. The question of hub overdate versus die overdates needs to be fully sorted out before any real feeling for rarity can be determined.

Very few collectors of early 8Rs attempt to assemble complete date sets with all varieties included. I believe that is often due to the eventual realization that in this period every die is actually unique.

The problem with finding every overdate ever produced is very similar to locating every die used in a given year. Both are seen as being impossible by most people who have been collecting this series for years. Since Durango products were sold overseas for bullion, it is extremely likely that the output of many different die pairs simply no longer exists, because that entire output was shipped out as bullion and were melted.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Dunigan and Ralph Poucher disagreed on the level of detail, as I have heard from both of them.

However, in the level of reporting for Resplandores book, Mike reports an 1845/31 European Style, an 1845/35 Mexican Style and the normal date of 1845 Mexican Style. So, it would not be inconsistent for this DAM (as with other DAM's in his book) to list: 1845 4 over 3 if not 1845 as 4/4/3.

Anyway, next I see him I will ask if he was aware of the subvariety when they wrote the book.

Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05